Dumbest thing you've ever done to a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by okc-zee, Dec 5, 2012.

1. okc-zee

okc-zee

Okay,This happened 46 years ago and this still haunts me to this day..I started playing when I was 13 yrs old back in 1965...I saved up some money and in 67 I bought myself a new Fender jazz w/ case for a total of $216 dollars from Sam Ash in Brooklyn New York...I've always been very much into John Entwistle and a couple of years later went to see the Who...John was playing this weird looking cut down P bass...So after some thought I decided to do that to my Jazz and took a jig saw to it...Do I need to say any more ? I still have the original receipt,neck and oval tuners from that bass...As I said,this still haunts me to this day...Needless to say,I have never again defiled an instrument in such a way...Okay, Top that.
  2. Wallace320

Wallace320

It would have certainly been more dumbest to the actual target

I must have posted it in another thread recently, anyway playin' a small club during a music contest for unsigned bands, me and my band, we've been throwing almost anything at us. I mean full beer cans and bottles
    This thing started 'cause a reknowned underground festival use to mix bands up in the same night (not managin' a funk night, a rock night, a metal night, a pop night, and so on...) so it must have been late '90s I think, and still "flower punk" was the thing, among teenagers, so more groups that kind, while just us playin' some "old fashioned", "vetero", "manly" thrash metal
    Singer/rhythm guitarist/songwriter stopped us and started to reply them by speech. I was playin' a poplar Jackson Concert XL (Dave Ellefson replica) thru an old AKG wireless system so I was immediately down the stage bearing my Concert by its neck aimin' at a head in particular, among the crowd.
    He was pushed aside by someone I couldn't notice, while I was stopped by three guys stageside right after the smash

I was back onstage with only the 22 frets neck in my hand.
    The guy is still alive (or so he was back then: never saw him again thereafter btw) I never been convicted, for not harmin' anybody, the Concert XL died that night.

I once owned a Fender Mike Dirnt, "Wake me up (when september ends)" was part of my wedding soundtrack, I still proudly own two Ibanez ATKs and one rare RD, that were Offspring's Greg Kriesel main touring basses so I'm definitely not against nu punk
    It just was that we were performin', and headbangin' and some arse#@£€ dared to provoque us, callin' us neanderthals or some, while playin' at twice the pace faster and twice the notes in their books...

My basses are usually sold as "ex demo" in shops, down to my takin' care of'em so this was definitely the dumbest thing I've ever made

Cheers,
    Wallace
  3. Lublin

Lublin Supporting Member

4. Immigrant

Immigrant

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Wesley R

Wesley R

After a long hard gig, very tired, I forgat my bass in the back of my truck. i awoke to thunder and in the icecold rain, rescued it, the case was soaking wet, I dried the bass of, I cried,
  7. Itzayana

Itzayana

Like you, it was 48 years ago. I was 13 years old.
    New bass and first gig.
    Got all done playing, put the bass in the case and then picked it up by the handle without latching the case.
    The case opened and the bass tumbled out onto the concrete floor.
    The result was absolutely heartbreaking.
    Every time that I see a "relic" bass I am reminded.
  8. eriky4003

eriky4003

Bought my Rickenbacker 4003 in the fall of '84. Went on to play wearing a belt for years so now not only is there buckle rash on the wood but some of the paint is gone.
    I bought my five-string back in 2001 and it's in pretty pristine condition for an 11 year old bass. Wish I knew in '84 what I know now. Live and learn, I guess.
  9. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

I sold it.
    1974 Rick 4003.
  10. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

dumbest thing? Sold this
    [​IMG]
  11. DLaunder

DLaunder

12. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

tried to put a low b string in the e string nut slot

wanted to string my 4 string BEAD

didn't go so well because it was a plastic nut

that bass now has a bone nut, but I opted to have it slotted EADG
  13. Wallace320

Wallace320

+1
    don't worry... IMHO I ain't callin' it dumb at all:p

Cheers,
    Wallace
  14. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

I started Playing One...
  15. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope Supporting Member

Hands down the dumbest thing ever done - stripping the original finish off of a 66 P Bass back in 1981 after having my drummer talk me into repainting it candy apple something. Didn't get it repainted, just left a varnish on it after stripping off the pain.

STOOOOPID.
  16. wraub

wraub

Disclosures:
    I'll have an IPA, please.
    I was young and foolish...
    I was into prog rock and fusion, really digging the fretless Jazz bass thing. My bass at the time? Ibanez Black Eagle.
    Some frets removed from the neck, a hacksaw and some sanding to the horns, and a refin later, and I had a truly crappy bass.
    I know.
    I might still have the pickguard somewhere, but all the rest is lost.
    Guess I made the remaining ones more valuable, so, I have that going for me. Which is nice.

All part of learning...

wraub
  17. dalkowski

dalkowski

Selling my pristine 70s Fireglo Ric 4001 (just writing this makes me want to hurl)

Close second: selling my Kramer DMZ 5000
  18. superdick2112

superdick2112 Registered Spector Addict

Dumbest thing I've ever done to a bass? Sold it.... :rollno:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I sold another Ric 4080 doubleneck in mapleglo shortly after I sold my white one... :bawl:
  19. DLaunder

DLaunder

But I'll bet your back thanks you!
  20. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah VERY enthusiastic walks... Supporting Member

Media:
    Dumbest thing I've ever done? Sell ANY of my Ibanez basses lol...I had an SR500 and an SRX3EXQM1, shouldn't have sold either one.
  21. dazmond

dazmond

After practice one frigid night, I forgot my corvette $$ in the hatch of my car. For a week. It was -40celcius the whole week. I almost cried. After wiping the condensation off of it for a few hours while it thawed, it seemed to be ok. And thankfully a year later still shows no harm from my stupidity.