1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Dummy load resistors acting as additional cabs

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by EdenXLT, Mar 5, 2014.

1. EdenXLT

EdenXLT

Hi guys, I have a hartke LH1000 bass amp and I like the stereo sound more than the bridge sound and with two cabs at 8ohm I can push "only" 2x225W... by plugging a 500W/8ohm dummy load resistor to each cab I get 4ohm cabinets and 2x320W from my hartke, havent yet bought the dummies so I'm asking you guys if this is a good/safe idea?
    this is the resistor: http://www.ebay.de/itm/350864623034?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
  2. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Disclosures:
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    So, where does the extra 2x95W go and how loud is it?
  3. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

Yes, the amp will put out slightly more power into a 4 ohm load than an 8 ohm load. However, half of that "extra" output is going into the dummy load (as heat)! Your net sound power output will actually be lower.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    This. Waste of money and effort.
  5. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

So without the dummy load, you get 225 watts per channel and each cab gets 225 watts. With the dummy load, the amp now puts out 320 watts per channel. However, of that 320 watts per channel, the dummy load gets half (160 watts) leaving 160 watts for the cab. You've dropped your cab from 225 watts to 160 watts.

Meanwhile, each dummy load is pumping 160 watts into the room, better make sure they are fan-cooled.
  6. dincz

dincz

Resistors are very quiet but they might keep you warm in winter :)
  7. EdenXLT

EdenXLT

Thanks guys, this is what I need ;)
    I guess I'll buy additional cabs :hyper:
  8. chucko58

chucko58 Supporting Member

Buying more cabs is a win. There's no replacement for displacement!