Duncan Antiquity IIs microphonic?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by IanAllison, Mar 28, 2008.

1. IanAllison

IanAllison Supporting Member

Hey guys,

Say - I just dropped a set of antiquities in a jazz bass and they seem to be pretty microphonic. Has anyone else had this issue? Is it a defective pickup or just par for the course with this model?

Thanks!

Ian
  2. IanAllison

IanAllison Supporting Member

Nobody with this issue? :crying:
  3. chiplexic

chiplexic

Man...no one can help his question ? yea or nawy. I'm considering these pickups so I'd certainly like to know if they tend to be microphonic. :help:
  4. JazzFusionB0rg

JazzFusionB0rg

Hmmm - I hope not...

I'm picking up my '75 RI from my tech tomorrow, with new Antiquity IIs & a Badass bridge installed. I certainly hope it's not microphonic!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. wateroftyne

wateroftyne

Bumping an old thread - I've just installed a pair of Antiquity IIs in my J, and I've noticed when I run my finger along the pickup cases, it's amplified.

I'm trying to work out if this is normal, or whether they're defective (I bought them used). I can't compare it to recent experience because the previous pickups were quite dark and were probably less sensitive in that frequency.

Thanks in advance...
  7. narud

narud Supporting Member

these have almost always been microphonic for me. they dont wax them. sometimes theyre just tap sensitive and i can deal with that. sometimes ive had them feedback at high volume. ive sent them back to be waxed in those instances.
  8. wateroftyne

wateroftyne

Yip - I've just had a nice email from a chap at SD who has confirmed that they're not potted, and a bit of contact noise is normal. Panic over!
  9. Danno1985

Danno1985 Supporting Member

Yes, mine are microphonic as well. It's just a trait of the non-potted design. I've never had a problem with it, but I'll get some squealing if I run it through a fuzz box with the gain up high. Very expressive pickups though. I don't think I'd trade mine for anything.
  10. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

These are not potted (just like the originals).

They are supposed to be wound tight enough that they don't cause feedback at "reasonable" gain and volume, although you can hear them when you tap.

If you got one that actually squeals you can usually send them to SD for fixing.
  11. rmars

rmars Supporting Member

Mine squealed at pretty bad at low/medium volumes when I would go near my amp to make adjustments. They were also pretty sensitive to tapping the covers. Ended up sending them in for potting and it took care of both issues, don't recall it affecting tone much.
  12. joelb79

joelb79 Supporting Member

Now I know what set of pickups not to try..
  13. wateroftyne

wateroftyne

Your loss. :)
  14. rmars

rmars Supporting Member

You can actually order them and request that they are wax potted if you were ever interested in trying them.

The bass I put them in was an '04 American Standard Jazz which was one of the most dead, lifeless and poorest made basses I have ever owned. Unfortunately I sold the Antiquity II's off with the bass.

Even though it was a bit of a nuisance to send them for potting they made enough of improvement in that sorry excuse for a Jazz Bass that I would like to try them in a decent bass someday...... I'll just order them potted next time.
  15. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

I know.

Gave up on potted pickups after trying too much boutique stuff.