1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Dunlop Volume X

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CfoScoop, Mar 29, 2014.

1. CfoScoop

CfoScoop Supporting Member

Did a quick search and nothing turned up... May just be the search tools.
    But anyway,
    I've been hearing good things about the Dunlop Volume X pedal. I like its size, build, and capability to be an expression pedal. My question is if it can switch between both capabilities on the fly. Like for one song, be using it as a volume for swells, and another to be using it as an expression pedal for another sound. I don't know if this is possible. Anyone have experience with this pedal?

2. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

SUB'd as I use a Boss FV-500H and use it mainly as an expression pedal but really wished it could switch back and forth from the volume capability. Would sell it in a heartbeat to get this if it could !

3. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Investigating for you now. Just to be clear: Do you mean running both outs simultaneously so that you can do both functions without switching? I will post a response as soon as I find out for sure. ;)

4. vegas532

The official word (and pretty much what I figured) is it will do one or the other, or both AT THE SAME TIME.
    I hope this answers your question, fellers. :D

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CfoScoop

CfoScoop Supporting Member

Wow ok. Thanks! So in theory, if I used it as both at the same time, that would cause unwanted volume swells... Hm...

7. karla684

karla684

Media:
    Both at the same time will work for me. I intend to have the volume in a loop, which can be used to turn the volume on/off. The expression function will be connected to my 3Leaf Wonderlove. And I don't think I will use the envelope filter at the same time as the volume. Perfect!

However, I've read that the Volume (X) works only with passive/unbuffered signals, which will not be the case for me. Anyone knows more about this? Will it work with an active signal as well or not?

Cheers,
    Kalle

8. vegas532

It works with active and passive equally well, sir.

9. karla684

karla684

Media:
    :) Glad to hear! I will bring my pedal board by the music store and try my thought setup. Guess I'll be buying a new pedal within shortly. :bassist:

10. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

I asked the question to Lullbass who works for MXR and here is his answer:

"The volume X can be used as an expression pedal or a volume pedal but not both at the same time."

His answer contradicts previous statements made here.

11. vegas532

I was confused, so I rechecked my prior statement. I meant to type "not", but it came out "or". Hand deformities and smartphones are a bad mixture. lol