1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Dwarfcraft Pitchgrinder Kickstarter

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Jul 31, 2012.

1. superbassman2000

superbassman2000

hey guys, I don't know if you are familiar with this, but Dwarfcraft is at it again with a new pedal--the pitchgrinder!

anyways, check out this kickstarter page--
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1933690225/pitchgrinder-an-8-step-sequenced-pitch-shifter

it sounds like a really cool thing, and if you contribute and post on facebook (tagging dwarfcraft) you get entered into a contest to win a hair of the dog bass fuzz.

I hope this isn't considered advertising, I am not affiliated with dwarfcraft (although i wish i was!) but I think it's a cool opportunity to get a sweet pedal up and running and helping out a fellow wisconsinite. Plus you could win a really cool high gain bass fuzz!
  2. aens_wife

aens_wife

Disclosures:
    Co-owner, Dwarfcraft Devices
    Thanks for posting this!

FYI- you don't have to contribute to be entered in the hair of the dog contest. You just need to share the kick starter link.
  3. behndy

behndy

yeah. love me some Aen and crush on some Aen's wife. all appropriate and platonically of course. still, rarrrrrrrrrrrrr.

hope you guys slay puppies in this kickstarter!
  4. behndy

behndy

annnnnnnnnnnnnnd just pledged at the $350 level because that thing looks FUN.
  5. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz!

I'm going to wax philosophical on this a little. I've been waffling about kick-starter projects like this for awhile now. It's a strange thing to me that people can't save or generate the cash they need for production of a product that has an extremely low barrier to entry (such as an effect pedal). I'm not suggesting kick-starter is a bad thing, but I'm also not sure why I should help shoulder the risk for someone taking on what is a fundamentally commercial endeavor.

Now some things make perfect sense to me, things that would be impossible (or improbable) to get started without a significant backer... it's a way to stay independent and still make it happen.

The day will come, in the not too distant future when one of these kickstarter projects burns all the money and has nothing produced at the end. I'm not suggesting it will be this (Aen is cool as hell), but it strikes me as goofy re-branding of preordering.
  6. behndy

behndy

yah. i wouldn't contribute to just any Kickstarter, but some of the more esoteric stuff i can see it not having a huge market so a built in buy-base makes sense to me. i look at it more as a preorder than funding in this kind of situation.

there ARE builders that have a horrrrrrrrrrrible track record, and i would never be involved in trying to fund something from them. but like you said, Aen's a stand up dooder.
  7. aens_wife

aens_wife

Disclosures:
    In my view, kickstarter IS just a pre-order scheme. But one that is really really well organized, with lots of options and such. I can't speak for anyone else, but we aren't asking for free money. Everyone will get what they paid for.

We have never needed help raising the capital for other projects, but this is a big one. We are raising money specifically for fancy enclosures. We have put a ton of money into this already and if this doesn't meet it's fundraising goal, we will come up with some more!

There are builders who have a horrible track record for fulfilling pre-orders and customer service, etc. But that's the way business goes. Some people are good at it, some, not so much. Aen and I try really hard to make sure that our customers are taken care of.

And for those who don't want to risk it, these will be in stores in October or November. <3
  8. father of fires

father of fires Supporting Member

The $2500 level made me chuckle.
  9. behndy

behndy

lol@NotMentioningObviousNames re:****ingPeopleOverInPreorders.
  10. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

$&%*%*(&^Devi Ever#^&$%*^&&()*...I mean what?

Should try to get 50 people to put in $50 each and have a computer ramdomizer pick the winner for the Aen visit.
  11. metalinthenight

metalinthenight Supporting Member

yah, the Aen visit made me chuckle. This thing looks really neat, a really cool concept. I wish I had the need for such a fun noise maker. :/
  12. behndy

behndy

**** NEED. WANT RULES EVERYTHING AROUND ME.
  13. aens_wife

aens_wife

Disclosures:
    If you could get 50 people kinda close to each other, you could do a big party with lots of people in the demo - Amanda Palmer style!
  14. andvari7

andvari7

Sooo...no Klon Kickstarter? Had to...

At any rate, I'm taking far more interest in this thread than I would normally do. This is because I am forever wracked with the guilt of never having purchased a Dwarfcraft pedal, despite the fact that I live within three-and-a-half hours of their facility. Everyone makes a big show of 'Made in USA,' and I agree with it, where applicable; however, it's even more balla if you can say 'Made in Wisconsin,' and you live in Madison.

I know, I know. I'm a horrible person. Just as soon as I am able, I'll try an Eau Claire Thunder.
  15. aens_wife

aens_wife

Disclosures:
    Full Compass has our stuff in Madison. And you could always take a day trip to the beautiful city of Eau Claire and come by the shop. Unless you are some crazy serial killer, of course.

Also, the kickstarter is at 84% in three days, which is amazing. We love you all.
  16. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

YAY you guys are awesome!

If I knew 50 people locally that knew about Dwarfcraft I would be in a fuzz Mecca.
  17. superbassman2000

superbassman2000

I'd agree with you if this was some tubescreamer copy, but this is actually something innovative (in my eyes) and it would be very costly for dwarfcraft to produce these, as for every pitchgrinder they make, they are spending time not making an eau Claire thunder, or a hair of the dog, and for a small company, that can be costly. That's why a lot of the smaller guys are making tubescreamer and muff copies/upgrades...that's where the money is, and that's all they are able to do.

But this is different-I see funding this project as more of a furthering of the art. This is a new pedal that might really catch on, or at least lead into new territory for other pedal ideas, kinda like what they said about NASA, where clearly going out and flailing about in space doesn't seem like much, but without it, we wouldnt have things like dehydrated ice cream.
    Also, being a Wisconsin native, I think it's really cool that someone is actually putting Wisconsin on the map, and as someone who lived in superior, wi for a long time, it's really cool that someone in *northern* Wisconsin is doing it. Very cool :)
  18. aens_wife

aens_wife

Disclosures:
    Thank you for absolutely nailing it!

On another note, way norther WI is my favorite place on earth. Someday, I will retire (hahaha) and move to Drummond and it will be fantastic.
  19. superbassman2000

superbassman2000

Northern Wisconsin is one of the most beautiful places in the US!
  20. behndy

behndy