Dye grey rat fur black?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Tunaman, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

I bought some ugly cabs with grey rat fur

Anybody ever tried to dye their rat fur cabs another color? I want to match the black cabs I use for the PA

Recommendations?
  2. Tractorr

Tractorr Supporting Member

Media:
    I have never tried to dye rat fur but I am pretty sure it would be much easier to recover them with tolex or black carpet.
    INTP likes this.
  3. Crater

Crater

Don't know how you'd dye the rat fur, but I can tell you that removing the rat fur and replacing it with tolex isn't cheap nor easy. The biggest hassle is getting the old stuff off. I replaced the rat fur with tolex on a Crate combo last year. It turned out nicely, but was a bit more work than I bargained for.

There's threads on applying Tolex to cabs, just search the forum.
  4. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Epidrake

Epidrake

My GUESS would be that Krylon Fusion spray paint for plastic. Rat fur is just plastic carpeting anyway.

That stuff really adheres to plastic.

Test first. Of course.
  7. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    i'm a big fan of line-x. it's def pricey, but it's d**n near indestructable. and i agree that i don't envy you stripping the old stuff off. i think trying dye would be an ugly mess, and the cabs will probably end up blotchy. how much are you trying to spend? there's really not any way to refinish a cabinet on-the-cheap (or easy), unfortunately, unless you are ok with bare wood, painted.
  8. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Not sure how well spraying or painting ratfur will be. Massive surface area that will likely go crusty.

Can but try, make use of the underside of the cab!
  9. vickde

vickde Supporting Member

I think I'd be pretty cautious about dyeing it for fear of the dye rubbing off and staining things later. IMO, of course.
  10. dalkowski

dalkowski

All of the above.

Seems that a lot can go wrong or poorly. Factor in the value of the time you'll spend on any fix and methinks you're better off living with the gray.
  11. carl h.

carl h.

If its dirty, powerwash it and thoroughly rinse. If it is shaggy, buy a hair clipper/trimmer and give it a clip. Those little fibers will suspend your coloring agent at the tips and keep the color from getting all the way in to the carpet and it will likely be splotchy and rub off on everything it comes in contact with.

Accept the funk and remember - nobody notices or cares.
  12. bassfran

bassfran

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    Though I haven't tried it myself, I would think that a dye job would be a huge mess.

How about simply dismantling the cabs and adding a layer of black fur over the grey?
  13. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Rat fur is a synthetic that has the color chemically bonded into the fiber. It resists being dyed. I've had lettering and logos painted on rat fur covered flight cases. It covers well enough to read but not well enough to change the cabinets color. I've found that the paint comes off with acetone (strong stuff) and a stiff brush but the rat fur stays like new. There was no fading of the color.

I've removed rat fur from cabinets. Sometimes it comes off easily. If it is affixed with something like contact cement, forget about it. You'll need to grind it off. Remove the speaker and hardware then go at it with a belt sander. Just be careful not to change the round over along the edges or the corners will no longer fit.

There are some good tolex tutorials out there like this one. Search on YouTube as well.
  14. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

you can shave a tennis ball, maybe you can shave a cab?
  15. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

That was my first thought as well.
  16. hover

hover

As said above, you can't dye it, because it isn't "fabric" in the traditional sense.
  17. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    Removing rat fur from cabs is a job best left to the professionals:

[​IMG]
    webmonster, INTP, wave rider and 3 others like this.
  18. chaosMK

chaosMK Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I dig the Line-X. To cover up something with the surface area of a 4x12 guitar cab it could run about $120-150 (though maybe a better deal could be negotiated).

You stole my thunder! ;)
  19. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

I've spray painted carpeting for my theater group and it worked fine. Krylon.
  20. seamonkey

seamonkey

Rit die available everywhere will probably do it.
    Try a test patch on the bottom.
    Follow the directions, it won't rub off.
  21. robd

robd Supporting Member