1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

DYI in-ear monitor

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by oldcatfish, Jan 20, 2013.

  1. oldcatfish


    Jan 8, 2011
    Hello everyone,

    I have been playing a lot of different venues lately, and the monitor situation ranges from high end fully in-ear systems, to mediocre (at best) wedge systems with to few monitors.

    So, I was thinking--I know that there are products made to tap a headphone into a PA system...and I know that some of you have done it. Any advice. I am on an extreme budget here, so just how cheap can I go (but still get something decent and reliable)? I should mention, I do already have heaphones that I use for full in-ear systems, just looking on advice for the rest of it.

  2. troy mcclure

    troy mcclure Supporting Member

    Mar 5, 2007
    Central Florida
    use a headphone amp feed from the aux send on the pa...
    You could get a headphone cord extension and then pair it with your bass cord with zip ties every foot or so and then leave the slack at each end.
  3. Sponsored by:

  4. Steve Dallman

    Steve Dallman Supporting Member

    In the 90's, I found a Jensen wireless headphone setup that had a small receiver, designed to plug whatever headphones into. I plugged the transmitter into the headphone out on the mixer, and used my ear buds with the receiver (which was the size of a pager.) The transmit range wasn't great, so if we were using a snake, I'd run the headphone out into the snake (using adapters I made) using one of the mic lines, and keep the transmitter on my bass head. I paid around $50 for this unit, and I still use it today. Not state of the art, but great for cheapskate, broke guys like me.
  5. musicman7722

    musicman7722 Supporting Member

    Feb 12, 2007
    Hampton, NH US of A
    Tons of threads here on this subject.
  6. TimmyP


    Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Radial has a speaker tap box, but I don't think it has a protective limiter ;-(
  7. SteveC


    Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I take an aux out from the board into a Rolls PM50S personal headphone amp. It's wired but that's fine as I don't do any wireless any more. I just stand around. Works great.
  8. derrico1

    derrico1 Supporting Member

    Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    You might be thinking of Rock On Audio's Rockbox. It has a built-in limiter, it can be daisy-chained from a monitor, and it lets you blend in a more-me signal.

    This isn't a product I've used, but I'm just putting you on the trail.

Share This Page