DYI in-ear monitor

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by oldcatfish, Jan 20, 2013.

1. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

Hello everyone,

I have been playing a lot of different venues lately, and the monitor situation ranges from high end fully in-ear systems, to mediocre (at best) wedge systems with to few monitors.

So, I was thinking--I know that there are products made to tap a headphone into a PA system...and I know that some of you have done it. Any advice. I am on an extreme budget here, so just how cheap can I go (but still get something decent and reliable)? I should mention, I do already have heaphones that I use for full in-ear systems, just looking on advice for the rest of it.

Thanks

2. troy mcclure

troy mcclure Supporting Member

use a headphone amp feed from the aux send on the pa...
    You could get a headphone cord extension and then pair it with your bass cord with zip ties every foot or so and then leave the slack at each end.

3. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

In the 90's, I found a Jensen wireless headphone setup that had a small receiver, designed to plug whatever headphones into. I plugged the transmitter into the headphone out on the mixer, and used my ear buds with the receiver (which was the size of a pager.) The transmit range wasn't great, so if we were using a snake, I'd run the headphone out into the snake (using adapters I made) using one of the mic lines, and keep the transmitter on my bass head. I paid around $50 for this unit, and I still use it today. Not state of the art, but great for cheapskate, broke guys like me.

4. musicman7722

musicman7722 Supporting Member

Tons of threads here on this subject.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TimmyP

TimmyP

Radial has a speaker tap box, but I don't think it has a protective limiter ;-(

7. SteveC

SteveC

I take an aux out from the board into a Rolls PM50S personal headphone amp. It's wired but that's fine as I don't do any wireless any more. I just stand around. Works great.

8. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

You might be thinking of Rock On Audio's Rockbox. It has a built-in limiter, it can be daisy-chained from a monitor, and it lets you blend in a more-me signal.

This isn't a product I've used, but I'm just putting you on the trail.