1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Dying/painting cabinet covering (rat fur.)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stinsok, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

My PA cabinets are fine, but the colors are mismatched and old. I don't want to recover them. I see several options on changing the color-anyone done this?

2. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

From personal experience I can only tell NOT to try painting them with rattle cans ;).

Regards
    Sam

3. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

Bleach and then dye? Although you'd have to take the covering off.

4. ddhm

ddhm

Strip them and Duratex would be my suggestion.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Don't quote me on this but I think you can only dye natural fiber type carpet. It involves a lot of water to dye carpet and you can only darken the color.

I helped my sister dye some carpet in a house she bought and it was a big wet mess. It worked but it was a LOT of work.

7. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Rip it all off, and put on some black indoor/outdoor carpet. It's very easy. You need the carpet, a razor knife, some adhesive, and a nice heavy duty staplegun.

I have built my own cabinet for my amps and effects unit; cases for my board and my keyboard, and now my monitors, speakers, cabinets, cases, and everything all match. It's durable, looks good, and blends in onstage, and helps keep the band looking more "pro."

8. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Based on my experience helping my sister dye her carpet, this would be my approach if I wanted to match up some cabs, although I might go for some tolex instead of carpet. I've got a few cabs and combo amps covered in rat fur and I'd rather have just about anything else on them.

9. Derock85z

Derock85z

If you're good with a rattle can, you can get some decent results out of Duplicolor vinyl and fabric paint. I've been a painter for years, painted cars, guitars, and even toilet seats, good results can come from spray can if you know how to use pattern overlap and have the patience for multiple coats to achieve full color hide. As far as durability though I'm unsure of how well it would last with loading and unloading.You could also try some decent quality truck bed lining, thats some tough stuff. It's pretty pricey for the good stuff, a kit could cost you a hundo or more.

At the price of that you could probably get quality marine carpet for less. Very durable stuff, we did our porch over 5 years ago with it, still looks new even in high traffic areas. Hope that helps.