dynacord BA300

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Muziekschuur, May 9, 2012.

1. Muziekschuur

Muziekschuur

Who owns a Dynacord BA300 here? It's a Bass amp from the '70's.

[​IMG]

I wonder who used that in it's day?

Solidstate preamp and an end amp with 4x EL34 who run at a fairly high voltage...
  2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    "Dyna" always makes me think of this, which my pals in '63 used for bass amps:

[​IMG]
  3. Muziekschuur

Muziekschuur

Looks heavey.... But allso small...
  4. Muziekschuur

Muziekschuur

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Looks like someone tried to make an Ashdown superfly retro.
  7. Muziekschuur

Muziekschuur

The amplifier is from 1977. I know Dynacord now does not produce guitar and bass amps. But when they did they were very succesfull at it. We all know the Mesa Boogie Roadworthy cabs. Well Dynacord started that rage...

I assume most people know these combo's who could be closed up to become a complete flightcase.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And closed up looked like this;

[​IMG]
  8. Muziekschuur

Muziekschuur

The Dynacord BA300 had a solidstate little brother. Wich was way more common.

[​IMG]
  9. Muziekschuur

Muziekschuur

No one?

Bump...
  10. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Dig the EQ.
  11. jimc

jimc Supporting Member

Didn't Phil Lynott used to play through Dynacord combos back in the day?
  12. Muziekschuur

Muziekschuur

13. beate_r

beate_r

I own a Dynacord G-2000 from 1973/1974 which is kind of a predecessor of the BA300 - same power stage, different preamp.

It has to be repaired (the usual stuff, electrolytic capacitors, potentiometers), and i intend to replace the preamp by a tube stage modeled after Hiwatts. I hope to be able to play it until the end of this year.

Beate
  14. bigalbass

bigalbass

Am I nuts or did Dynachord used to own some other music related company?
  15. beate_r

beate_r

You are right, they bought Echolette and owned some related brands, e.g. Solton, Winston, Craaft.

Here a picture of the G-2000:

[​IMG]
  16. Muziekschuur

Muziekschuur

That G stands for Guitar? Nice looking amp... Why change to Hiwatt specs... I'd create a seperate Hiwatt preamp.... And keep this original. That Dynacord is a classic...
    And constructed to last... How many owners have not bought one and played it till they retired...
  17. beate_r

beate_r

Yes, the G stands for Guitar - but from its layout it is more a bass amp having a tremolo effect...

I am aware of this one being a classic - but i have grown up with this stuff and remember how "well" regarded they were... its current value with NOS valves almost reaches the price tag of a new Traynor YBA-200.

I actually prefer the sound of the Hiwatt/SoundCities over the Sound of these old hybrid amps. With their power stages these amps are extremely interesting for something like this.

Anyway - my decision how to reach my goal will entirely depend on the state of the preamp which seems to be pretty bad - potentiometers heavily scratching and not available anymore, one of the switches apparently broken. If i'll do such a mod i will of course do this in a manner completly reversible, i.e. not throwing away the old parts and avoid any drilling in the chassis.

I also own a few of its smaller cousins - an Imperator in all original state which of course will remain all original, and a BassKing 1 in bad mechanical state where i already have slightly modified the tone control and now start the remaining restoration.

Please note that all these Dynacords have a fairly unreliable control of the bias voltage which have a big potential to damage the power tubes and the OT of these amps. So changing and securing the bias circuitry is a must if You want to pay these amps regulary.

Beate
  18. Muziekschuur

Muziekschuur

Some other Dynacord bass amps;

Dynacord Reference 3002
    [​IMG]

And the famous bassking from the 50's.
    [​IMG]

And the Bassking T
    [​IMG]
  19. beate_r

beate_r

20. rodl2005

rodl2005

I've got an "old" C'85 Dynacord powered mixing desk. It's absolutly superb.
    Always sounds wonderful, where more modern gear (that I can afford) needs eq & add on fx, the Dynacord just sounds crystal clear & works-always.
    "CD like" is how ppl describe our PA sound when we use it.
    Quality stuff
  21. beate_r

beate_r

No, that one is a Bassking 1 or a 1T, probably the latter. They look nearly identical; the difference is the preamp - all tube in the "1" and transistors in the "1T". The older model has two DIN inputs on the left and two jacks on the right (and *very* low input impedance - but this is an easy fix).

Tha Bassking T is the entry level version which has only the master volume and tone control (which i consider fully sufficient).

If we're on photos - here's the Imperator, actually the high end variant of the Basskings:

[​IMG]

The input section seems to be mostly identical to that of the Bassking T, except that a treble and bass boost is added (*really* useful).

The name is program: this beast gets up to 110 Watts out of two (!!!) EL34 runnig at "only" 740 V (compared to 780 V in the G-2000).

My first contact to these amplifiers was our first PA which was an Eminent 2 (in contrast to the 55 Watts of all Basskings). Four microphones or instruments could be mixed to a 5th high level input signal. Really great and lively sound. And of course identical look to the other amps; Dynacord realized an impressive modularity in this series.

Beate

BTW: that one will of course be restored to maintain its original state and not only to maintain its original look.