Dyson Vacuums

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Steve S, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Steve S

Steve S

I have an old, heavy Kirby vacuum cleaner that I've had for almost 30 years. As I've gotten older, the Kirby has gotten more difficult to use. I don't vacuum as much as I should..

I've been hearing about the slim Dyson vacuums and would like to know if anyone has had experiences with it. Is it something that is efficient and easy to use?
  2. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

A lot of people like them. I prefer an Oreck. I have used both.
  3. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    Pft, just bite the bullet and get a central vacuum system installed. They're freaking awesome :D
  4. madrob

madrob

I saw a report that showed the Dyson's are not as good as they claim to be and they didn't do that well compared to the rest of the test group.

I want a robot vacuum!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RDUB

RDUB Supporting Member

The roller ball doesn't go under furniture worth a darn. Because there's no bag, they allow more dust molecules to return to the air than some other similarly priced machines. We went with a Miele. Very light, very good machine.
  7. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

I don't personally know anyone that had one of them installed that still used them a year later. my family growing up included.
  8. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

I have one and don't care for it. I hate dragging a 30 foot hose around the house.
  9. line6man

line6man

I've lived in two houses with central vacuum systems, and in both, if I vacuumed a second time with an inexpensive upright vacuum, more debris came up from the carpets. Maybe modern systems have more powerful motors, but it seems to me that suction is lost to the air resistance of all of the piping and hose.
  10. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

I was a skeptic, but the dyson is pretty freaking awesome.
  11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

We use the slim around our house for quick daily vacuuming. It works great for us on our hardwood, tile, and cork floors. I like how it snaps together so easily, and how when the battery runs out, it just stops. It doesn't get progressively less powerful until the charge runs out. I also like how it maintains full suction power even when the canister is full. The canister is super easy to empty. Hold it over a garbage can. click open the bottom door, shake a couple times, and you're empty.

A few things to look out for....
    There is no on/off switch. It is a button you have to continually hold down for it to stay on.
    The fully charged battery lasts about 15 minutes, and less if you put it on the higher power.
    The vacuum head is not as wide as most vacuums, so you'll be making more passes.
    The majority of weight is in your hand, so I can see it being heavy for some folks.

If I had a large house and lots of carpet, I wouldn't want to be using this slim for that. Since our house is not all that big (1800 square feet), and only three bedrooms of carpet, the slim is a good choice for us that does a great job.

-Mike
  12. msact

msact Gold Supporting Member

I have had a Dyson for several years. It's great.
  13. Ironbar

Ironbar

They are efficient and easy to use. They are also the biggest scam in the vacuum world.

If you enjoy paying hundreds of dollars more for a vacuum that works well but is 100% marketing hype, then a Dyson is definitely for you!
  14. marko138

marko138

I've got a Dyson and I absolutely love it. Well worth the money to me.
  15. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    The two rentals I had with central vacuums had so much suction I had to use the relief/blow off valve in order to not damage the carpets, it was pretty crazy. Having all of the dust and "crap" sucked into a central place and blown outside is nice too, so you're not breathing crap in after vacuuming. It was also rocking for stairs - no lugging a vacuum up and down, just a hose and its attachment. Hung the hose up in the closet when done. I thought they were pretty dang sweet, but, I guess they're not for everyone. And a retrofit would be pretty expensive.
  16. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Dyson is overpriced and unreliable. When mine burned out after about one year, I took it to a Dyson-authorized service center, where they said it was not worth repairing. They also said the only reason they dealt in Dysons was because the money was so good--otherwise they would rather not.

Almost any other "good" brand will be better value for the price. Miele is the gold standard, but they cost plenty. I asked the salesguy what he'd recommend as the most reliable option at a lower price than the Miele, and he steered me to a commercial Eureka vac.
  17. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I just remembered this, too, from a Q&A on Reddit with a vac repair tech:
    "I spend a great deal of my time repairing Dyson as a Warranty Repair Station. As a tech, my problem with Dysons are the weak, crappy parts, and troublesome design flaws. I do not like bagless machines, as they are dirtier, require more regular maintenance, and do not pick up as well as bagged vacs.
    I use brand new Dysons in a demo to show how much they leave behind as compared to other brands.
    It is my opinion that the better Hoover and Eureka machines work as well or better than Dyson's best. But for the price of a DC50 with the full Animal package, you could get much more vacuum."
    http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1pe2bd/iama_vacuum_repair_technician_and_i_cant_believe/
  18. ZenG

ZenG

We have a Miele.

My wife won't use a bagless upright.

The powerhead has to be able to go under edge of cabinets and furniture wherever possible.

The Miele has different levels of suction power setting which is good. I hate it when the rug sticks to the end of the nozzle. So I can dial it down when necessary.

I use a shopvac for the basement nooks and crannies.

The Miele has a secondary air filter in it. Reg or optional HEPA.

Often looked at Dysons.......but they haven't convinced my wife yet.
  19. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

We also have a Miele, it's great.
  20. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    My in-laws have one. I LMAO every time I see them using it!! They also have one of those huge ceiling/roof exhaust fans used to cool the house! Freakin' hilarious!
  21. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

We have one of the Dyson uprights. Works well and zero complaints. Had it given to us so the price was right!

lowsound