1. Welcome to the premier online community and classifieds for bass players!

Register a free account to post, remove lots of ads, and more!

E-140 on a SVT-15 cab ?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by iguana, May 29, 2012.

1. Well....I'm selling my Ampeg B-100R. I tryied putting a E-140 on it (rewired in 4 ohms) for a while. It was better that the original speaker at high volume, but in general wasn't what I was looking for.

Whats the idea? Sell the combo, buy a head, and built a cab to put the E-140 on it. The question is, which cab? I cant buy a cab here (the prices are prohibitive) so I will built one. It could look like a Fender or Ampeg I really dont care, but my question is about dimensions.

I don't wan't a giant cab, with something a bit bigger than the combo is ok for me, so I was looking with interest the Ampeg SVT-15 cab. What you think?

Thanks in advance.

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Sorry that makes no sense to me. Would you reword it to make your meaning plainer. I know that English is not your first language. :)

3. I bought the speaker damaged, without the cone or coil. So when I sent it to recone I asked to do it in 4 ohms instead 8.

I have the E-140 apart from the combo. The combo have his original speaker installed right now

4. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

5. Sponsored by:

6. Finally I built a SVT-15 cab with Fender's look (to match the rest of the band). Inside it's a reconed 4 ohms JBL E-140

Im really happy with the sound. It's really a step forward compared with the Ampeg B-100r

Now I can play in large stages and I can heard what I play with clarity.

[​IMG]

here the cab on stage

[​IMG]

7. you should ask why a reconed speaker, why the Fender's look, why why why why....and the answer is "cost"

I live in Buenos Aires, Argentina, and Ampeg prices are totally crazy.

An original Ampeg SVT-15 used cab here, is about 1500 american dollars, and a PF-350 its near 900

I did it all for half the price.

AstroSonic likes this.
  8. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    I think you have done very well, it looks great, bet it sounds really good too.:bassist:

9. Thanks man :) I'm happy with the result, it was what I was looking for.

10. Well, I had the E-140 on that cabinet for a year, but the sound was too hard. I decided to try a Peavey Black Widow (an old one I found) and I have to say that this speaker match the cabinet better than the JBL.

I'm not saying that one speaker is better than the other, I just think the E-140 needs a bigger cabinet. The Peavey with his longer cone movement, produces a homogeneous amount of low bass in all the strings, something impossible with the E-140.

So, Black Widow on the cab, JBL gone, and some money back on the pocket.

11. AstroSonic

AstroSonic Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2009
    rural New Mexico
    Glad you found a driver that pleases you. Regarding the disappointing performance of the E140, it's worth remembering that the cone, surround and voice coil are critical elements of a driver. All else being equal, a 4 ohm voice coil used in the E140 magnetic structure would likely have substantially reduced Qes and Qts. The stock E140 driver is arguably, overdamped to start with. The 'new' 4 ohm driver would likely be heavily overdamped, resulting in mid and low bass being several db below the mids - a very unbalanced sound quality.