E=Bow Request

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by amosjones, Feb 5, 2014.

1. amosjones

amosjones

I have never used one, but I think it would work well in the songs I play from time to time. Does anyone have one I can borrow/rent for a few weeks before I purchase to make sure I make sure it is a wise purchase?
  2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Yep, Guitar Center. You've got 30 days to mess with it...
  3. groooooove

groooooove

you can probably test one at guitar center

they're fun but useless to me.. michael manring does a lot of cool stuff with one, though
  4. DagoMaino

DagoMaino Supporting Member

+10 if their going to squash the little guys with walmart marketing then we have a duty to use their policies to our advantage!
  5. DagoMaino

They are a fun tool... more usable on guitar IME... for bass you can just use a volume pedal to generate some string swells that are more effective and controllable.
  6. ChopperDave

ChopperDave Hai-ohhhhhhh! Supporting Member

Yeah, I haven't had much luck myself on a 4-string. I don't know if the unit doesn't provide enough power to move the larger strings, or that it's just difficult to get it into a position that vibrates the strings, or what, but it doesn't really work for me.

It kills on a Bass VI, though.

Volume pedals work for swells, or if you want something more automated, you might try a Slow Gear-type of pedal. Mooer makes one (Slow Engine), so does VFE (Bumblebee and Bumblebee Jr.) and Malekko (A.D.), and there's even a cheapo Behringer if you just want to see if it works.
  7. DagoMaino

Agreed, even with the ebow on a C string you will probably still want to couple it with a volume pedal for good results. Unless it is a wide open part of the arrangement, it can be tricky to hear the ebow start resonating the string in a full band setting... an attack pedal is a really good way to go!
  8. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

I've never had a problem getting an eBow to "move the larger strings" but it definitely can be a chore to get it into the right position. I think Heet Industries or whoever makes it these days could sell a few more units if they offered a Bass eBow that was identical to the current model but was designed around 17mm string spacing (and then made a 19mm model also).

OT: if you ever want to have a crapton of fun, gather as many eBows as you can borrow and get inside a grand piano.
  9. ChopperDave

ChopperDave Hai-ohhhhhhh! Supporting Member

That sounds like the perfect ending to a great party or the perfect start to a great orgy.
  10. amosjones

amosjones

Crapton of fun, sounds like an epic band name
  11. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Michael Manring uses super light gauge strings and has mastered the quick movement and sort of "pre-vibration" of the string that helps the E-bow do its thing. Without a lot of practice or writing parts around the quirks of the tool I think it might be a pretty frustrating thing to depend on for most of us non-virtuosos!
  12. K2000

K2000

Like anything else, I would assume it requires practice.
  13. lz4005

lz4005

"pre-vibration" isn't that hard, nor mysterious. A light hammer-on, or vibrato-like wiggling of the string is enough to get it started.
  14. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

I have spent some time E-bowing my bass. The most important part is placement with respect to the magnets of the pick up. when I get it just right it doesn't need any help creating a nice feedback loop. What is difficult to do on the bass as opposed to guitar is to rapidly switch strings. once you get one string going you can fret up-and-down that string and maintain a nice feedback loop. When you switch strings it usually takes a second or so for the next string to get going.
  15. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

like this?
  16. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

I wasn't claiming it to be either, but it does require a degree of subtlety that might be tough for less than subtle players (like myself and most bassists I know). I was just trying to point out that it is harder than someone like Manring makes it look!
  17. godspeed68

godspeed68 i like music. a lot. Supporting Member

i've been using the same e-bow on my bass since 2001. jump in and have fun!!!
  18. JohnDeereJack

JohnDeereJack

Yup, I've been using an e-bow for a while now and I highly recommend buying one - fantastic fun, especially with a fretless.
  19. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

IMO, a delay is essential withan ebow.
  20. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

A volume pedal, delay and/or reverb effects, good string spacing, and a fretless bass are what I recommend for maximum E-bow function. Practicing technique is very important too and not easy at first.