1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

E-Bow

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by ceremony74, Feb 16, 2014.

1. ceremony74

ceremony74

inspired by videos from manring & lawson on the web, i decided to buy an e-bow.

i know it is not made specifically for bass, but i maybe there are some workarounds to help me use it.

first, what about strings? usually my gauge is .45, is it too heavy for the ebow?

second, is it a good idea to mod the ebow so i can increase its output and make it stronger to vibrate the bass strings properly?

any other advice?
  2. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

I find I'm able to get what I'm looking for from the Ebow without any modifications and the ones I use are right out of the box. Although I suppose it works a bit faster on light gauge strings, I've had good results with all the strings I've tried, including hefty B strings. As with any technique, I think understanding and sensitivity are very helpful. I try to align the Ebow as carefully as I can in every angle and along the length of the string to get the sound I want. Once you get the hang of it, it really is a lot of fun. Good luck!
  3. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

just to echo what Michael said, I've never felt the need to modify an eBow to make it do what I need it to do.

It's a whole new technique, much like playing slide or learning to play with a pick, and I find that I'm still developing greater facility with it 16 years after first starting to use one. It's not a 'trick' that you can add in to your arsenal in a week or, or an effect.. it takes a while to understanding the sensitivity of it, and what your fretting hand needs to be doing to help shape the sound.

Good luck - it'd definitely time well spent! :)

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net
  4. jibreel

jibreel

Is there a specific ebow model that is best for bass ? Thanks !!