1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

E for EP set?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Anonymatt, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Anonymatt

Anonymatt

I like my Evah Pirazzis, but the E is not doing what I want. Kinda dug the D'addario Hybrid E I had on there better (even though it was like 10 years old or something).

I was close to getting Spiros when I got the EPs. Do you think putting a mittel on there would be a fun way to test the waters? Would they match okay?

I'm sorry, I'm sorry, the EP megathread is too long, and I wanna get fresh perspectives. A simple "Go for it, kid," or "Go practice, kid," would suffice. I would do a poll, but they're so tacky, right??

2. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

I have had the E on a few basses and it always delivers arco and pizz. Any chance it might be a set up tweak?

3. Anonymatt

Anonymatt

The bass has never been set up during my two year ownership. That may be it, but the tension and playability seem fine. The tone is just kind of dark for me. My intuition is that it's not a setup issue, but I could be wrong.

4. gprigge

gprigge

I went from Evahs, to Spiros Mittels, to Evahs with a Spiro E, and now I'm back to four Evahs.
    I'm learning to practice more, and spend less time and money on string tweaks.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Anonymatt

Anonymatt

Yeah bro, I'm trying to forget about it. Saw that mittel set in the classifieds, though.

7. RenanDias

RenanDias

don't think an E spiro mittel would make a big difference. I've switched from Mittels to EP Weich and on my bass the EPs are louder (especially E and A) and classily growling :-D

8. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Disclosures:
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    The EP weich E has always been a bit weak on my bass so I put a spiro mittel on a few days ago and it's staying on. It's just a bit louder but the the sound is much more solid. When I dig in it responds much better and they match quite well. That's on my bass.

9. Anonymatt

Anonymatt

You know, I like the arco sound, so I think I'm just gonna try to forget about it for now. Maybe I'll get the Spiros when the EPs wear out.

10. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp

I think you probably made a good call replacing the old helicores with something fresher, but before you spend any more cash on strings, take the bass in for a soundpost adjustment, along with any other work that needs to be done if you have the scratch. It really is night and day. I've tried to address balance issues through swapping out gauges and cores and tensions and brands, but my luthier is the one who always ends up fixing it.

All the work I've gotten done at David Gage has been spendy, but it has consistently been the best investment I've made, gear wise. My old teacher would say we focus too much on the accessories, and not enough on the bass (and its health.) I mean, I'm guilty!

11. Anonymatt

Anonymatt

You're probably right, bro. I've been wanting to go out there and have my endpin replaced. So I guess a setup is in the cards, too, because I've never had one done. Maybe I'll be stoked afterwards.

12. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

Ah, individual differences... the EP weich E was always thunderous and powerful on my bass. The vibration would go down into the floor, up into my body, and vibrate my bones. Yep, when it comes to strings, YMMV sure is the rule!

13. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Disclosures:
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    The E string has always been just a bit weak on my bass. Some basses are like that. I've never been able to fix it by adjusting the soundpost.
    Regarding setups, I see strings as one part of setting up a bass. Basses adjust to the tension and character of a particular set of strings which changes thing like string heights and soundpost fit and/or position. Gotta see the big, maddening picture.

14. Anonymatt

Anonymatt

Yeah, w/ the EP E, the sensation is like I'm not getting enough leverage or something. The kind of YUHH sound of the fundamental that I expect doesn't happen as loudly. It's got a good sound against the fingerboard and all. That nice little front is there too, but it doesn't hang w/ such great balance like it does w/ the A and D.

15. RenanDias

RenanDias

A weak E issue may be related to soundpost and bridge re-positioning (a taller bridge also makes a huge difference, even though it may increase tension)

It's also an interesting solution that kind of tailpiece where the E and A looks like elongated. Well it's nothing more than physics since it provides E and A a wider vibration extension.

I heard from a luthier it is an very old solution and it's called cordiera cantabile. He said this was an "standard" during a time (especially for violins), and his particularly opinion is that this should be the standard, because it's sonically obvious... GAS.

http://www.rivieraoggi.it/2010/09/06/99827/innovazioni-del-violino-cose-la-cordiera-cantabile/

http://www.doublebass-cello.com/doublebasses-2012.html

http://zmtsound.com/ (ZMT Tailpieces - This was designed by a double-bassist, Zoran Markovic)

16. TonyD

TonyD

Hi RenanDias,

the ZMT tailpiece looks very interesting. It may be the answer to the weak 'E'-string from Pirastro or the weak Belcanto E-string.

Do you use this ZMT tailpiece?

Regards,
    TonyD

17. RenanDias

RenanDias

Hi TonyD.

Unfortunately I don't use it, so far.
    But probably I will have a tailpiece with that same concept built by a very talented local luthier as soon as possible (as soon as the money allows)...

18. TonyD

TonyD

Hi RenanDias,

that sounds interesting. Can you keep us updated? Would like to see a picture of your new tailpiece when it is ready!

19. RenanDias

RenanDias

Sure TonyD, will post the pictures once I replace it. Probably will do the service after July.
    I'm actually trying not to over look on acessoires and upgrades, strings, etc, to focus more on playing and studying, but this tailpiece seems to be a very logical improvement.

20. Anonymatt

Anonymatt

So several months have passed.

I bought a new hybrid bass. It had Obligatos and a Spiro E on there. Obligatos were okay, but I thought I'd treat myself so I got my fave EP A and D and went for an Oliv G. Well, the EPs sound great as usual and the Oliv G, well, let's just say I'm happy there's something everybody can agree on around here. I went ahead and left the Spiro E on there because that's what I was always wanting to try on the old plywood with the full set of EPs. Pretty much the same issue with sort of a weaker E string. Huh. Maybe I'll try my old EP E from my plywood on there to see how it likes the new bass, hope it works out like Drurb's bass. Also maybe this new bass could stand to have someone check out the soundpost and what-not.

Anybody ever feel like maybe the A string is THE string on the bass and the optimization kinda curves in either direction from there??