1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

E saddle out of place?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Matthew_84, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

I've been setting up my basses for the last three or so years. I've always had the G bridge saddle closest to the nut, then the D, then the A, then the E. Pretty common.

Lately, I've been doing a lot of things to a bass that has required me to remove the strings and then put them back on and retune.

One of the things I did was sand down the original nut. After I put the strings back on and setup my intonation, I noticed that the E bridge saddle had to be brought a lot closer to the nut, past the A and D saddles, and almost parallel with the G. I figured it was an issue with the sanded nut. Last weekend I did a crazy overall, repaired the finish on the body and the neck in a couple of places, shielded the cavities, changed pots, installed a thumbrest, moved the entire bridge a little closer towards the nut (because the G saddle was right at the end of the screw), and replaced the nut with and filed the new one. I am positive that the new nut is cut equally on all slots. Restrung and did intonation today and the E saddle is still past the A and D saddles. Could I just need a new set of strings? Anything else could be the culprit?

2. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Put on a new set of stings.

3. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

A new set of strings will fix your problem

4. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

OK, thanks guys. Thought so, just wanted to be sure before ordering a set. This has never happened to me before. I've only replaced strings for tone.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Sure, try a new set of strings, but there are a few other considerations:

*Using conventional or tapered strings?

*Establishing witness points at both the nut and bridge?

*May we assume that everything action and intonation-wise was within spec (or required only minor adjustments) string set-to-set prior to the extensive rehab you've described?

Riis

7. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

Good questions. The only thing I can think is that the witness point has been compromised, as it's been moved around a lot due to various nut and bridge adjustments. All of the other strings seem fine though. Using Ken Smith Compressors, so nothing unconventional there, and the setup was great prior to any mods. Will try a new set. Thanks

8. Zooberwerx

This merits investigation IMO. Witness points need to be re-established with each new set of strings and/or set-up. If the contact areas on either the nut or saddle are compromised, all bets are off. Any way somebody else can take a look at it?

Riis

9. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

Sorry, I guess I am a bit confused about the term "witness point". I was referring to the point of the string where it bends over the nut/bridge. The witness points on the nut and bridge will be fine. When I filed down the nut slots I was very careful to do it on an angle down towards the headstock.

10. Zooberwerx

That's half the equation. When installing (or re-installing, such in this case), press the string down firmly on the FB side of the nut and bridge saddle to establish a clean break. That's referred to as "establishing the witness points".

Were the nut slots cut a bit on the high side to start with?

Riis

11. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

Well yes, it was a GraphTUSQ nut, that was precut from Allparts, but I installed it on a fretless neck, so it needed a decent amount of filing.

I do press the string down firmly at those points when checking intonation and even when tuning. Has became quite a routine for me actually.

12. Zooberwerx

Good show. I hope a new set of strings solves your ills. If not, a second opinion is in order.

Riis