E series Japanese Feneder PJ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fogoverla, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Fogoverla

Fogoverla

Hi all, found a bass at a local guitar center that raises a few questions. The GC employee and I pulled the J pickup out and saw machine drilled screws, but the pickup hole was widened to fit a bartolini pickup. I am not sure if fender ever made a PJ in those production years, and the GC employee told me he checked the stamp on the body and it matches up. Bad Ass II bridge installed too...

Will post pics once I pick it up tomorrow ;)
  2. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Fender was late for the party as far as P/J's go, just like a with a fretless bass... I'm guessing mid to late 80's that a P/J configuration was seen on a Fender bass. The P-bass Plus?
  3. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

The most noted is probably the jazz bass special, but i believe before then they had something actually labeled a P-J Bass
  4. JIO

Disclosures:
    1985 - one and the same
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CPplaysBASS

CPplaysBASS Gold Supporting Member

I think the Jazz Bass Special had the narrower net width that is common to all Jazz basses. I have a 1986 Japanese P/J Bass (says P/J Bass on the headstock) that has a typical P-Bass neck except the back is painted black. Same body, pickups and everything else I believe. I switched the knobs ... original ones are black and skirted with the Fender "F" on them.

[​IMG]
  7. JIO

Disclosures:
    According to Tony Bacon & Barry Moorhouse (The Bass Book -2008 edition) the P/J is what the Jazz Special (85-91) was originally know as. It had a Precision-style contoured body regardless of the name. No mention of neck specs other than maple/rosewood. The later Power Jazz Special also had a Precision body and a 22 fret neck.
  8. Fogoverla

Fogoverla

What is weird is it looks like a precision bass with the standard pickguard. It has the V/V/T knobs on, does not look like an amateur job.
  9. Fogoverla

Fogoverla

Here it is, I plan on cleaning it up today and restringing it. I will pull out the j pickup and take a picture of the cavity.

Attached Files:

10. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

I would say the bass started life as a standard Precision. It's been routed for the bridge pickup, it probably had a white pickguard on it originally as well. Fine looking bass!
  11. Fogoverla

Fogoverla

Yeah, I am certain it was an aftermarket mod. I really want to get the bartolinis out of there for something with some punch, but I don't want to lose out on some vintage sound.

I was thinking a seymour duncan quarter pound P bass pickup and a Hot stack Jazz Bridge pickup and doing a 3 way switch with master volume and tone. I am just not sold on the pickups though. The Barts are just way too mellow with the rosewood board.
  12. Fogoverla

Fogoverla

Very nice looking! So I pulled off the pickguard with my guitar tech and the rout for the extra knob and pickup were professionally done and the neck stamp matches the body! The truss rod also turned!