E string buzz question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Gluvhand, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Gluvhand

Gluvhand

Hi guys. Quick question. I recently restrung my bass, an Aria SB II, and replaced with a heavier string gauge. Did a very rudimentary setup, intonation and truss rod adjustment, and I now have a buzz at the first 5 frets on the E. Took some tension off the truss rod, readjusted action, same deal. Is it possible the strings I stepped up to are just too heavy a gauge? Or maybe the noise is due to the string not sitting in the brass nut properly? Overall I can't get the action back to where it was. Higher overall regardless of whether I flatten the neck out or leave a slight down bow in there. As simple as going back to the original gauge string? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  2. Precision101

Precision101

Changing gauges is a pain man!

If it's a nut problem you can put your finger behind the the nut and out some pressure and see if the buzzing stops but this sounds like a neck problem. First 5 frets is usually an indication that you need a tad more relief in the neck. I have noticed with higher and heavier tension strings that you should have less relief because the high tension adds relief in the neck itself. But it sounds like the neck might be stuck in back bow if there is still buzzing after a complete setup and you added relief. My advice is to put some relief in the neck and let it sit overnight and the next day do some small adjustment again. I don't think it would hurt to change back to the gauge you were using before. Good luck.
  3. Gluvhand

Gluvhand

Thanks for the response. I'll give it a try. I may have not been letting the neck settle after adjustments. I need to be more patient with this one I guess.