1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

E string Buzz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by phangtonpower, Nov 13, 2012.

1. phangtonpower

phangtonpower

Hi,
    I have an ovation magnum bass. I can get the action pretty low on it but the E string buzzes slightly if fretted all the way up to about the 12th fret. Maybe higher. Right now I have it at about 2.1mm-2.2mm on the E string. I have .109 flat wounds on it, and I've heard you can get the action pretty low. I guess I can raise the action, but I can only raise the bridge on the e string side and g string side by design. The saddles themselves are fixed. Plus I've never had a bass where I can set the action so low and I would love to experiment with low action.
    Any advice on what I can check out? maybe the nut? Can I maybe get the frets leveled only on the E string side only? There are no real techs where I live and would have to get it sent off, so I would really have to be specific in what I ask. Also living in another country side of Japan where my obviously English isn't spoken is pretty hard to ask for a fret level. It took a while when I did try to explain it and it still seemed the tech didn't know what I was talking about :help:
  2. phangtonpower

phangtonpower

Anyone? I can give more info if needed.
  3. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Try loosening the truss rod 1/8-1/4 turn. You may just need some relief in the neck.
  4. phangtonpower

phangtonpower

That's what I thought too and tried, but it has 3 graphite rods in the neck and wont move. It's set almost flat.