E string Buzz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by phangtonpower, Nov 13, 2012.

1. phangtonpower

phangtonpower

Hi,
    I have an ovation magnum bass. I can get the action pretty low on it but the E string buzzes slightly if fretted all the way up to about the 12th fret. Maybe higher. Right now I have it at about 2.1mm-2.2mm on the E string. I have .109 flat wounds on it, and I've heard you can get the action pretty low. I guess I can raise the action, but I can only raise the bridge on the e string side and g string side by design. The saddles themselves are fixed. Plus I've never had a bass where I can set the action so low and I would love to experiment with low action.
    Any advice on what I can check out? maybe the nut? Can I maybe get the frets leveled only on the E string side only? There are no real techs where I live and would have to get it sent off, so I would really have to be specific in what I ask. Also living in another country side of Japan where my obviously English isn't spoken is pretty hard to ask for a fret level. It took a while when I did try to explain it and it still seemed the tech didn't know what I was talking about :help:
  2. phangtonpower

phangtonpower

Anyone? I can give more info if needed.
  3. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Try loosening the truss rod 1/8-1/4 turn. You may just need some relief in the neck.
  4. phangtonpower

phangtonpower

That's what I thought too and tried, but it has 3 graphite rods in the neck and wont move. It's set almost flat.
  5. Register to disable this ad