1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

E string buzzing till 12th fret on Jazz bass after string change

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by H3R3T1K, Dec 17, 2013.

1. H3R3T1K

H3R3T1K

It's not fret buzz. I've adjusted the truss rod a tad and it didn't help. It's more like somethings loose/vibrating. The buzz is as strong at the headstock as it is at the bridge if I hold my ear next to it. I gave the string some play to see if it was twisted. Didn't help. I pushed the saddles together, doesn't seem to be it. The tuner doesn't seem loose either. The buzz continues when I touch it after plucking the string. I've got two solid winds around the post. The angle from nut to post is sharper than on the A string where I didn't cut the string at all. The strings are of the same gauge as the strings that came with the bass.
    The buzz disappears from the 12th fret downwards. The E string is the only string buzzing.
    Any ideas?

2. electracoyote

electracoyote

(A) A bad string, core is broken somewhere along the line.

(B) Action too low.

(C) Saddle spring.

(D) Nut slot angle or width (this would probably only affect an open string).

Those last three are outside shots, since this was not the case before you changed strings and you went to the same gauge as before. But all are worth a look.

3. H3R3T1K

H3R3T1K

I'll get a new string and see what happens. The strings I got on there are the cheapest available (Warwick Red Label Stainless) but they feel so much better than the ones that came with the Squier bass.

4. Dave Curran

Dave Curran Lilduke

Do you still have your old E string, if so try putting it back on. That will tell you if its the string or not. I always keep my old set when putting a new set on. Never know when you'll need a string.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. H3R3T1K

H3R3T1K

That's a real good tip. Tossed them because I hated the feel of them. Sticky and weak sounding. How do you remove them though without cutting off the end that was wrapped around the post?

7. electracoyote

electracoyote

I usually unwind the string gently off the post instead of cutting them. I hope you reduce the tension first, popping a fully tuned string with a wire cutter is not a good idea.

8. H3R3T1K

H3R3T1K

I sure do. I undwind the string till I can lift it from the post, then cut the end and remove the string.

9. electracoyote

electracoyote

Ah, you cut the end off so it slides through the hole easier. I get it now.

You might want to manually straighten the end and slide it through the hole intact so you can use it as a spare, or in the rare occasion that you need to put it back on to test against a new string.

10. Lownote38

Lownote38

Press down on the string where it lays in the nut. If that stops the buzz, then the nut slot is too big.

11. H3R3T1K

H3R3T1K

It was the string. New string doesn't buzz.

12. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Did you set your witness points on either of the E strings?

Riis