E-String "Clicking" Problem (Fingerstyle)

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Icculus, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Icculus

Icculus

My E-string makes that percussive click a lot when I'm anywhere from fret 6 and up. I don't play that hard, so I don't know why I'm hearing it so much. Any tips? I can post a video if it helps.

I'm playing a P-bass with flats. FWIW.
  2. Depth_Charge

Depth_Charge

I had that problem on a fretless P-bass. Playing closer to the bridge away from the neck and lightening my right hand technique so I wasn't digging in as hard helped the click go away.
  3. lz4005

lz4005

First thing I would check is to see if the string is hitting the pickup.
  4. silverwolf

silverwolf

I agree with depth charge. Solves
    my problem
  5. adamsmatthewj

adamsmatthewj Supporting Member

Lightening the right hand technique is huge. Almost everyone (myself included!) hits the strings too hard. Especially with flats, I also sometimes get that clank on the E. I've really changed my technique over the last two years to lighten WAYYY up, and it has paid off in so many ways

I've found that slightly adjusting your setup can also help. I like low action, but a P with flats can only be so low. It does need a LITTLE room. I dialed in my P too low (which felt great!) but I got E clank too. Tweaked slightly and it's definitely happier!

Generally (and I mean generally!), if it's buzzing below the 6th or 7th fret, the neck needs more relief. And if it's buzzing above the 6th or 7th fret, you can straighten it out a bit.
    Then adjust bridge saddle height accordingly and JAM!