1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

E string popping out of nut? Help!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by davegrohllover, Feb 25, 2014.

1. davegrohllover

davegrohllover

Hey, so I'm new to bass, normally play guitar. I've just put new strings on and it's the first time I've done it so I assume I've done something wrong. I'm not sure if maybe I cut the string too short or wound it wrong? But basically, when I tighten the E string to tune it, it just pops out of the nut. Really frustrating. I've added a link with a photo too in case that helps :) Looks like it's probably not at the right angle, but not sure how to fix it since I haven't done this before. So any help would be appreciated! Thanks :)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/118679234@N04/12766300843/
  2. mrmills

mrmills

Try winding the strings the other way round the tuner, so the strings are straighter out of the nut.
  3. Jungy

Jungy

Yep, they're wound backwards.
  4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Strings wound backwards indeeed. Do it again.

[​IMG]
  5. slipknotmaggot3

slipknotmaggot3

May be late commenting but generally when stringing your bass, you want the strings turning towards the tuner pegs. Best of luck to you friend. :)
  6. Sartori

Sartori

You put the strings on backwards, but fortunately that's a simple problem to correct. Take them off and put them on again. When you're done, it should look like the pic Jazz Ad posted.
  7. davegrohllover

davegrohllover

Lol it seems so obvious! But thanks everyone! I've re-stringed and all is good :)
  8. Sartori

Sartori

Glad to hear it.