1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

E String Rattling(Not Fret Buzz)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by iunno, Dec 10, 2012.

1. iunno

iunno

Recently my Ray34's E string started rattling. It is very distinct from fret buzz, I think it may be the intonation screw, when I loosen it, it just comes out the back of the bridge and the rattle gets worse, when I tighten it, the rattle goes away for a bit, but quickly returns. Has anyone else had this problem? Also, where would I get a stronger intonation spring from? I'm using heavy Bass Boomers(.115 -.050), so that is probably contributing to my problem, but I really like these strings.

2. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

I have always just stretched springs out if they rattle or seem too loose. Or you can add a spring or even snip one in half. Springs for pickups work fine. Except the tapered Stratocaster type. The type in a les Paul is what you want.

3. iunno

iunno

Thank you, I'll try that when I can get a hold of some springs.

4. deeptubes

deeptubes

The string tension is preventing the saddle from moving and causing the screw to back out. Loosen the E. Adjust saddle toward neck. Tune E. Intonate E. Re-tune, re-intonate, re-tune, re-intonate...until you don't need to do either.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 96tbird

Yeah I missed the part about screw extending out the back. I just loosen the screw and push it in with the driver, no need to loosen the string. I intonate like the proper tuning method in reverse: shoot the saddle sharp and wind it back in towards the tail to bring it down to pitch. This keeps pressure on the saddle so intonation doesn't change. If you only push the saddle sharp to set intonation, the saddle may settle later from the string breaking down to the anchor point and you may go slightly sharp again. When tuning drop flat of pitch and tune UP to pitch.

7. iunno

iunno

I've actually tried doing this last night, stretched the spring, reassembled and tightened the screw for intonation so it's snug. Still rattles. It seems to go away when I hold the string past the saddle and spring together, I think I'm going to try removing the spring altogether and see if that works.

8. devilman666

devilman666

Make sure your truss rod isn't loose and rattling on the low notes. happens sometimes when going to a heavy gauge. The string take the tension off the rod. Had that problem with my atk805

9. 96tbird

That and it's possible the saddles are rattling against their neighbors.

10. iunno

iunno

It could be my truss rod, it just started doing it with all strings at the 12th fret. How did you fix it? I think I'm probably going to have to take it to a tech.

11. 96tbird

Loosen the rod completely and jiggle it and reset it.