E string sounds distorted

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by belzebass, Jan 26, 2013.

1. belzebass

belzebass

Hello.

I'vea just finished installing Bartolini pickups: Bartolini P-Bass pickup and Bartolini MusicMan pickup, wired with Bartolini NTBT preamp (Volume Balance 2 band EQ).

The notes on the E string sound distorted even when not digging in. The distortion appears on other strings too, but only when I dig in. Can it be a wiring problem?

Actually, when digging in all strings distort (even when lowering the volume). How can it be avoided?

Here is the soundclip:

It's a rif played on the E string, then the same riff on the A string.

First neck PU (pbass), then bridge (MM PU), then both together, with volume full on. After that the same thing, but with volume half on.

Thanks!
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  2. 72LML

72LML

I'm really interested in what you find out about this. I just finished wiring up a P-bass with an EMG musicman pickup and it does the same thing. Both the P-bass and Musicman pickups are EMG and the 3 band pre-amp is a Seymour Duncan. If I play lightly there is little or no distortion. When I dig in it's distorted. I tried wiring it up to 18 volts and same thing.
  3. Lowactnsatsfctn

Lowactnsatsfctn

I suggest posting a few pictures of the wiring. Its hard to diagnose with out actually seeing the Bass in question.
    How high are the pickups?
  4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

How close are the pickups to the strings? are there any internal trimpots?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. belzebass

belzebass

The pickups are not to close to the strings.

The wiring is exactly this:
    [​IMG]

I haven't wired a trimpot.
    I seems that the pickups are just too hot, especially in lower frequences. But it sounds great with parm muting! A powerful boom with a fast decay.
  7. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member