E to drop B

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Zorth41, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Zorth41

Zorth41

I recently installed hipshot and had a cool idea and need all te TBers help, i think yall will like it.
    I ussaly tune to standard tuneing, i use the hipshot to drop the E to D which is nice but would really like fo drop it to B so i would have a slew of new notes to play,
    Thats where yall come in, what size E string should i use for this, one thick enough for the B but not too thick to go back to E
    Any ideas?
  2. AgostoMortal

AgostoMortal

It works, try and experiment with gauges but also depending on the bass, , but works perfectly and it can fool everybody once you are used to.
  3. mr.black

mr.black

I do this all the time (sorta) i'm normally a half step down on all strings D#,G#,C#,F# but drop the top via hipshot to B on one bass and C# on another. i use a 110 or 105. its a bit floppy and you have to lighten your touch on it when dropped. also recomend raising the action a bit to relieve the buzzing you'll get due to the decrease in tension. - have fun. check out Janek Gwizdala he does it too.
  4. pfox14

pfox14

I would think that dropping the E to B would have that string flopping around like a rubberband.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. knuckle_head

knuckle_head

Disclosures:
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Yup . . . .

Changing tuning more than 3 half steps alters tension 8 to 10 pounds and requires that you set the string up tuned to the middle of the two pitches you're intending to hit or your intonation is going to be severely off at one or the other. Intonation will be slightly out in shifting pitches anyway.
  7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

You could always try it with a B string but that thing will be ready to snap and it will not be pretty.

Also, with that much tension loss you would probably find the setup on the other strings goes to spit as well. A graphite neck would help with this somewhat, but even still that is far too much of a jump. You will either have a decent E or a decent B, they are too far apart to do both well.
  8. knuckle_head

knuckle_head

Disclosures:
    uummm . . . from B standard you go to drop A.

EDIT; If you REALLY have to do this get a .118-.120. Set the string up tuned to C# - you are going to have a tension shift of 24 pounds and the action on the other three strings is going to change radically.
  9. Jensby design

Jensby design

:eek: WOW! :eek: could you teach me how to be cool
    I have done some big tuning changes on my 3-string bass DAE EAD CGG
    The total string tension ranges only about 8 lbs. This is because I may tune one string down but I tune another up, so it all evens out.
    side note string tension balanced @ DAE and the others sound kinda idk unbalanced
  10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

I frequently do this with a Steinberger bridge. I use a .110 E and it detunes to B.
    The string is floppy indeed and the intonation isn't perfect but you can get these thunderous low notes, which is the effect I'm after.
    I'm not sure you can drop 2 1/2 tones with a Hipshot detuner though.
  11. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

That is a resonable approach and Hipshot says you probably can tune that low with most basses/strings. I'd just use a heavy gauge E string and live with whatever the B came out as. Use a light touch if you have to. Since the OP drops to D a lot and B occasionally the Hipshot double stop lever (which I believe can be retrofitted onto other tuners) would be in order. Set one position to D, the other to B and the main setting will still give an E. Then you will have great E and D strings and the B will be there in the few cases it is called for.

Another option would be to switch to D standard, DGCF, for the main tuning. Then the low B is only three half steps away which will make it a much better B string. And unlike BEAD the DGCF tuning does not lose you so much of your G string.
  12. Groover

Groover

DR has DDT strings that are good for this. I think some have a .115 E string. I've used them, and they are good, but brittle? I broke some just tuning them...

Anyway, one of my basses is tuned BEAD with Labella FM (.109) but the bass I'm doing this on is actually a 34.5" scale (Gibson EB3L) and the tension is actually pretty good. I may bump up to the Jamerson set which has even fatter strings and I think it will be even better.
  13. KingRazor

KingRazor

+1 I love this tuning.
  14. knuckle_head

knuckle_head

Disclosures:
    DDTs are decent sets, but they are meant for standard intervals and are not designed to have the lowest string dropped an entire 4th.
  15. mr.black

mr.black

again (granted he's playing a Fodera) but Janek Gwizdala does it all the time with a hipshot his low string is a standard .105 too! (i asked him) and checked out his set up.