E vs. extension C - tension and thickness

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by robobass, Mar 25, 2014.

1. robobass

robobass

Disclosures:
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    We got into this recently. It seems that with Thomastik, a "long E" is a bit harder than a regular E. Basically a "Mittel" long E has the tension of a "Stark" regular E. With D'Addario, the tension is the same, according to their site. However, I was at my Luthier's yesterday and we compared thicknesses. The long E was indeed 0.2mm thicker than the regular length. The long E was much older, so maybe the specs have changed, but it was from the same group. I will check my Obligatos when I have a chance and report back.

It's my opinion that the long E should be the same thickness and tension as a regular length E. After all, when closed at the E, don't you want the bass to feel like a normal four-stringer?

Please report if you have any info on this...
  2. Co.

Co.

I think, that the Spirocore 4/4 C/E string is a very good match to the 3/4 ADG strings. In Mittel, Weich and Solo gauges.
    The Mittel 4/4 E/C works also well with Mittel 4/4 ADG strings, but feel just a tiny bit to hard for me, but not much.
    I can't really compare the extension string to the regular E string, since I have my extension for too many years and can't really remember.
    I know, how a Spiro Weich set feels with a Mittel E. I don't really like it. The feel of a Weich Set with a Weich E/C makes more sense to me. Does'nt feel unbalanced at all.
    I don't know, if the Weich E/C is bacically a Mittel E, or if the Mittel E/C is really just a long Stark E, but they definetly match the rest of the set, for me.
    I also played Pirastro Permanent E/C, Evah Mittel E/C, and Flat Chromesteel E/C. They all worked very well, except the Flat Chromesteel, which was too thin (sounding) for my taste, but still matched the rest of the set.

Maybe I really just like higher tension E strings. Yesterday I played three different basses, all with Belcantos and I thought, that on every bass, the E was to soft in feel and in sound. These were no extension strings.
  3. PaulCannon

PaulCannon

Gauge (Thickness) ≠ Tension
  4. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Disclosures:
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    From the Thomastik site it appears that the Mittel Extended E/C is indeed a Stark. I've been thinking about making an extension for my bass but should put the Stark back on to see how it might behave. IIRC, it didn't work well on my bass. The Weich is between the E Weich and Mittel.

http://www.thomastik-infeld.com/catalogue/TI_bass/HTML/index.html#2/z
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Co.

Co.

Withing the same brand of strings (same construction), an increase in gauge = increace in tension.

Or do you think, the extension string in the Thomastik sets has a diffenrent construction than the normal E string, besides the increased length?
  7. robobass

robobass

Disclosures:
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    "Gauge (Thickness) ≠ Tension"

I would agree that within a product line you would expect a direct relationship between thickness and tension, but this may not always be true. Unfortunately, it's much harder to measure actual tension than simple thickness. As I said, I have Oblis on two basses. One with and one without extension. The E and E/C feel the same to me, but I haven't measured thickness or tension.
  8. PaulCannon

PaulCannon

Sorry, I was just trying to clarify a simple point. People sometimes use the words "gauge" and "tension" interchangeably, and it doesn't make any sense. Having a "heavy gauge" is like being "obesely tall."