1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

EA CM/NM 208

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by peterpalmieri, Aug 2, 2007.

1. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Anybody hearing anything on the production of the new EA 2x8 cabinet?

Neo or ceramic?
    Weight difference?
    possible date to market?
    available as a 4 ohm option?

Sound?

2. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Neos are the plan. This fall is the target. EA won't release anything that's not a winner.

3. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I'm told today that I should be getting a pre-production sample to kick around in a couple weeks or so. The NM-208 has neo woofers, the current weight is around 36 lbs. since it has a significant amount of wood for the transmission line and the drivers are obviously quite heavy duty affairs. I'm looking forward to beating it up on everyone's behalf.

4. jhelsley

jhelsley Supporting Member

Bob,
    Did you ever get one?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bob Gollihur

Disclosures:
    Nope, there was a delay at the driver factory, if I recall correctly a specific part for the manufacturing process they were waiting for. I thought the last word was 'sometime in October' but I'll have to inquire.

Correction: the driver frame has been changed and that screwed the pooch. A modified prototype box is in the works to accommodate the change.

7. peterpalmieri

Thanks for the update...

8. peterpalmieri

It's been a REALLY, REALLY, REALLY long time since I've heard anything on this cab.

Any thoughts on when she'll be ready?

Pete

9. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
  10. peterpalmieri

If you think my posting is a sleeper you should hear my solos!

Obviously there was some chatter under the Aguilar 2x8 thread for a while but it died quickly.

I am hoping Bob G. might have an update for us since I thought he said he was getting a prototype...

Pete

11. Bob Gollihur

Disclosures:
    I did, but it's up to EA to make any announcements regarding any new 208 cab. I emailed my impressions and it was forwarded to the next guy on the list. To my knowledge (but I haven't spoken to the big cheese in a couple weeks), nothing has been finalized as of this date, so relating any reactions would be premature and possibly invalid.

12. Thom Walker

Thom Walker Supporting Member

Anxiously awaiting a release. Is there anything else that can be said about it?

Thanks.

13. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    I guess I'm the next guy in line. I'm still trying it. It is in the M-line cabinet. I think that it has a little better clarity and definition than the 12 M-Line. But just a little. I have to honest in that the EA NL210 is not my favorite cab. Very warm and lush. Very Hi-Fi.But not a lot of control. For me, the envelope of the note is very important. I want a bit of "bloom" and thump on the beginning of the note. But then I want very tight control.
    The reason I'm mentioning this is that I (very unscientifically) think that many of the Neo speakers that I've heard lack in the control department.
    But I think EA has done a pretty magical thing with the transmission line with the M-Line. I think that there is a symbiotic relationship between the lesser control or the Neo speakers coupled with the greater control of the transmission line. The 2x8 M-line cab sounds nothing like the NL210. It is not quite as warm as the 12 M-Line, but close. And I think it has a bit better control and definition. I haven't cranked the 2x8 and 12 side by side, but I assume that they would be similar in that the radiating area is similar.
    I don't know if I'm supposed to be talking about this, but I thought that I'd share my impressions. I hear that it might be a bit more expensive than the 12 M-Line.
    If I hadn't played through the 12 M-Line I'd be all over the 2x8. I think it is marginally better, but only marginally so.
    And a side note--
    While I don't like the NL210 by itself ( tons of guys love it, though), I have to thank Mike Dimin at EA for mentioning how the NL210 and the CXL12 are an amazing combination. They perfectly compliment each other. Where the 210 is (in my opinion) overly warm and a bit bloated, the CXL12 is a bit too punchy and controlled. Driving the two with an Iamp 800 is about my favorite combination for electric bass.

14. bolo

bolo Supporting Member

Great descriptions Mike. Thanks. I seriously dig the M-line 12. Given that, this sounds like a real winner for DB. Sign me up.

15. Thom Walker

Has anybody heard anything? Is it safe to say this cab is not going to happen?

Also, anybody know why there have not been any EA website updates in 3 years?

16. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    We will be featuring a Quick Look review of the new and forthcoming EA NM-208 in the next issue of Bass Gear Magazine. :cool:

Tom.

17. Thom Walker

Thank you for the update. I was a little worried, that EA had abandoned the piece.

18. peterpalmieri

What's the deal anyone checking these things out yet? When is the magazine coiming out?

19. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    To the best of my knowledge, there is only the prototype available at the moment.

Issue #2 should be out by the end of this month.

20. peterpalmieri

Looks like Bob has some more info on his site about a limited run and EAs site is being updated.

I was hoping to read that review in BG mag

21. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

And you will...tomorrow!