1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

EA pawn shop find. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Hobobob, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

I just visited my local pawn shop, where I found this:

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1380844361.947651.jpg

First of all, what exactly is it? Obviously it's an EA 2x10 three-way, but what's the model designation? Anyone have any experience with one? Opinions?

The only amp they had to run through it was the mini-Acoustic pictured, but I'm going back tomorrow to see what my Genz Shuttle sounds like through it.

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated!

2. Mitchthebassplayer

Mitchthebassplayer Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Fodera Guitars, La Bella Strings, JuleAmps, Epifani
    GREAT CAB! I've owned MANY of those over the years! It's a VL-210. Looks like the "A" version, but can't be sure by just the black logo. The "B" was the more efficient version, and the "C" version had a REALLY heavy magnet. They're great sounding cabs, just heavy. I replaced two of these with a single new EA 410W....

3. Hobobob

Thanks for the input! It definitely sounded great, even with the less-than-stellar Acoustic head. I can't remember what version it was, but I do remember it said it was 500w, had pads for mid and high, and in addition to the 2 1/4" ins, had what looked like a stereo input (separate R & L).

4. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Supporting Member

+1000 on the "great sounding cab" statement. I've gone through a LOT of different cabs and that was #2 on my favorite list behind an Accugroove Whappo Jr. Neo. Sounds especially good with a fretless (not that I sound especially good on a fretless...)

Dan K.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mitchthebassplayer

Disclosures:
    ah, def an "A" model. This was the original, less efficient model, but still a great cab. Should be 8 ohms as well.

7. Hobobob

What are the differences between A and B? (Besides the already-stated efficiency)

8. Mitchthebassplayer

Disclosures:
    The tweeter got redesigned, and the drivers were updated in some way. Made them handle power better. The "C" version got even heavier drivers. So the "B" is considered by many to be the "the one". But I've owned a couple "A"s and they were just about the same to me.

9. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

Bet it sounds great! And weighs a ton! How much dough?

10. Hobobob

Thanks for the info!

It's actually pretty manageable weight-wise, maybe only 10 pounds heavier than my Shuttle 210.

The tag says $475, but I'm gonna offer the aforementioned Shuttle 210 and a few bucks. If I can get them down enough, then I may be posting a NCD tomorrow!

11. Hobobob

Couldn't make a deal :( Pawn owner couldn't find enough info on my Genz to make a good trade. Oh well, now at least I know that I MUST have a good 3-way cab! The top-to-bottom clarity of the EA made my Genz 210 sound like mud in comparison. TB classifieds, here I come!