1. Welcome to the premier online community and classifieds for bass players!

Register a free account to post, remove lots of ads, and more!

EA question for doublers

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by JI99, Apr 9, 2014.

1. JI99

JI99 Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2007
    I am an electric 4-string player but figured i'd get more useful info here than on the EB side...

I am very happy with my EA iAmp 500/Wizzy 12 cab(s) with both piezo-only and conventional magnetic pickup bass guitars. The iAmp500 is overkill for many of the small settings i play however, so i'm wondering if anyone can comment on using the EA Micro (or Doubler) with a single Wizzy cab, and electric bass. Thanks.

2. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    I use a Doubler with a EA CXL112 and think it's a fine combination for bass guitar. The Doubler has a very punchy sound. Will it be the sound you're looking for? You'll have to try them.

3. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Disclosures:
    Chief Low-Frequency Facilitator, Gollihur Music LLC
    It kills. I used my Doubler+Mline for a concert we did a few years back. 5-string bass, aggressive tone... Hard rock, drummer with double-kicks, guitar player with an Ampeg half-stack, keyboards, three part vocals... My little rig kicked it out, without breaking a sweat.

4. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I have both iAmp 500 combo and a 300 Micro head with a 110 Wizzy. The sound a little different and the iAmp/12 definitely has more presence, but I love them both for either instrument. To be honest the iAmp is overkill for almost everything I do on either instrument, but it's nice to have. If I lost them both in a fire, I would replace the Micro rig and maybe have a 2nd 110 cabinet or just a larger BG cabinet if I got into something where I needed it.

5. Sponsored by:

6. Mcnailit

Mcnailit

Nov 22, 2011
    Amarillo, Tx
    I have the doubler and a Schroeder PL 212. I play everything from small rooms to large outdoor stages. I bought the doubler specifically for taking both my electric and upright. The doubler is a great sounding head for electric. I play 4 and 5 string basses live and love the tone for electric. For my upright, it does exactly what I wanted an amp to do and sounds fantastic. Easy to use and even easier to carry. Would recommend it to anyone who wants to double on a gig.

7. JI99

JI99 Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2007
    Thanks all. Other than additional controls for upright, are the Micro and Doubler the same?

8. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Disclosures:
    Chief Low-Frequency Facilitator, Gollihur Music LLC
    Same power, same preamp, same design. Though the Doubler does add a notch filter on channel 2 - not POSITIVE that it works on the 1/4", it may only affect the XLR (I'd suggest asking EA) but that could be helpful with your Acoustic Electric bass guitar.