1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

EA question for doublers

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by JI99, Apr 9, 2014.

1. JI99

JI99 Supporting Member

I am an electric 4-string player but figured i'd get more useful info here than on the EB side...

I am very happy with my EA iAmp 500/Wizzy 12 cab(s) with both piezo-only and conventional magnetic pickup bass guitars. The iAmp500 is overkill for many of the small settings i play however, so i'm wondering if anyone can comment on using the EA Micro (or Doubler) with a single Wizzy cab, and electric bass. Thanks.

2. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

I use a Doubler with a EA CXL112 and think it's a fine combination for bass guitar. The Doubler has a very punchy sound. Will it be the sound you're looking for? You'll have to try them.

3. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Chief Low-Frequency Facilitator, Gollihur Music LLC
    It kills. I used my Doubler+Mline for a concert we did a few years back. 5-string bass, aggressive tone... Hard rock, drummer with double-kicks, guitar player with an Ampeg half-stack, keyboards, three part vocals... My little rig kicked it out, without breaking a sweat.

4. TroyK

TroyK Moderator

I have both iAmp 500 combo and a 300 Micro head with a 110 Wizzy. The sound a little different and the iAmp/12 definitely has more presence, but I love them both for either instrument. To be honest the iAmp is overkill for almost everything I do on either instrument, but it's nice to have. If I lost them both in a fire, I would replace the Micro rig and maybe have a 2nd 110 cabinet or just a larger BG cabinet if I got into something where I needed it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mcnailit

Mcnailit

I have the doubler and a Schroeder PL 212. I play everything from small rooms to large outdoor stages. I bought the doubler specifically for taking both my electric and upright. The doubler is a great sounding head for electric. I play 4 and 5 string basses live and love the tone for electric. For my upright, it does exactly what I wanted an amp to do and sounds fantastic. Easy to use and even easier to carry. Would recommend it to anyone who wants to double on a gig.

7. JI99

JI99 Supporting Member

Thanks all. Other than additional controls for upright, are the Micro and Doubler the same?

8. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Chief Low-Frequency Facilitator, Gollihur Music LLC
    Same power, same preamp, same design. Though the Doubler does add a notch filter on channel 2 - not POSITIVE that it works on the 1/4", it may only affect the XLR (I'd suggest asking EA) but that could be helpful with your Acoustic Electric bass guitar.