1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Eagles - Those Shoes quick question

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by rydin4lifebass, Jan 11, 2014.

1. rydin4lifebass

rydin4lifebass

This is probably a dumb question but I'm not sure about one thing in the song "Those Shoes" by The Eagles. What is being play at roughly the 1:00 or 1:02 mark? It sounds like a little two-note "pop" of something, but not sure exactly what it is?
    LINK:

2. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

It sounds like an octave hammer on from one whole step below the root's octave. You can pop it or not, he is not really popping it...just playing it fingerstyle with gusto.

3. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

+1

Exactly correct.

4. rydin4lifebass

rydin4lifebass

So just hammering the 12th fret of the E string (octave) off the D.... if I understand you correctly?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

That's right but remember you can play those notes on the A and D string also. Play them where they sound the best to your ear and are easiest reach.

7. rydin4lifebass

rydin4lifebass

Sounds best to me hitting the 5th fret of the A string and hammering on the 7th fret of the A. I thought that was the octave in there but I couldn't hear what was right be fore it (the D note)...thanks again!

8. Technicality

Technicality

You will find that little octave hammer on everywhere, its quite common. For example off the top of my head its part of the riff of "brick house" and "tell me baby"