Ear Training/Note Recognition

Discussion in 'Ask Anthony Wellington' started by remcult, Mar 29, 2014.

1. remcult

remcult Supporting Member

Hi Anthony,

I'm wondering if you have any specific tips/exercises for training my ear to identify notes, chord qualities, chord progressions, etc. Thanks!
  2. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

3. remcult

Great, thank you. This should help with transcribing?
  4. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

And sing EVERYTHING you play!

-aw
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

And everything you study about music groks with everything else.
    -aw
  7. remcult

: ) I didn't know I could think higher of you, and here you go and use "grok". Thanks Anthony, much appreciated
  8. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Hilarious!!!!
  9. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

I'm a musician and I have a poetic license! I'm always making up words!

Traytoot!

I just made that up!!!!

-aw
  10. remcult

11. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Nice!

Well, a traytoot is a person who makes up words in an effort to sound smarter than he really is.
    ccbass71 likes this.
  12. tonik101

tonik101

Definitely sing everything to help internalize & consolidate! Auralia ear training software is worth a look. The full blown program is great, and they also have started releasing some single topic apps (interval recognition, interval singing) - http://www.risingsoftware.com/mobile/
  13. Bassman197835

Bassman197835

lol! Music def! "groks" with everything else. Never again will I say "goes with" only "groks"
  14. mjl422

mjl422

Hey Anthony,

I was reading in "This is your brain on music" or "The outliers" (can't remember which one) where it talked about ear-training becoming more difficult as you get older.

Should musicians who stsrted playing later in life approach ear-training differently or is it just a matter of doing MORE of the same things to "catch up"?
  15. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Good question 442!

My thought on it is,...

It's built into out DNA that we get good at what we do a lot.

No matter what your particular capacity to learn is,...

You'll get better at doing something the more you do it.

There is always an opportunity to work on ear training. ANY time you hear music it is an opportunity to do 'pitch' eat training as well as 'rhythmic' ear training.

I'm always doing ear training. It's to the point that I can learn most music without ever having to pick up an instrument. And I'm not just talking about bass parts.

And that was the whole point.

peace,
    anthony
  16. mjl422

mjl422

Cool. Thanks for the quick response.

It seems that some days my ears are good at picking out intervals/chords and other days they are terrible. I did learn that I'm better at recognizing ascending intervals than I am at descending intervals. So, that's someting that I have to work on.
  17. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Yea 442, on bad sinus days my ears aren't as good. And neither is my breathing and mood.

Everything is connected!!!

-aw
  18. INTP

INTP

I just read "The Secret Life of the Grown-up Brain: The Surprising Talents of the Middle-Aged Mind", and while it doesn't talk about ear training specifically, it does offer some insight about how the brain changes as we age. At the risk of oversimplifying, as we age, we focus less on details (like, did I turn off the coffee maker, and where did I leave my keys?) and more on the big picture.

My response to this is to make sure to put ear training in context. While working on hearing particular intervals via trainers or other exercises can help, I think it's important to also do things like practice playing parts by ear, or transposing parts. It's not just that doing this is more complex, but it's a different exercise. This is just my best effort to deal with my middle-aged brain, but I feel much more energized working on more integrated activities that happen to rely on the ear than just working on training for single intervals.

I also agree with Anthony that the more I do it, the better I get. I think the cumulative benefit of using listening as part of your playing more than offsets the changes in our brains as we age.

Best wishes.