Ear/vocal training

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by sjeverett, Mar 11, 2014.

1. sjeverett

sjeverett

I've always had a problem tuning a guitar/bass to standard tuning without the aide of a tuner. If I tune by ear, every string is flat. Eb Ab Db Gb. I was playing with my tuner and sang the G major scale and every note I sang was flat as well. Does anyone have suggestions to get my ear in tune? Would be nice to sing in tune for a change.
  2. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'm a Fuzzrocious-aholic. It's been one week since I bought my last Fuzzrocious pedal.
    These are two different issues. Being able to tune without the aid of a tuner requires perfect pitch. There is a debate about whether or not this can be learned. Singing in tune is an entirely different skill. Unless you are tone deaf, you can learn this skill with practice.

What are doing now to try to sing in tune?
  3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

There is not a debate about learning perfect pitch, there are liars who tell you they learned it (and try to sell you a method so you can too). There is scientific evidence proving you cannot learn perfect pitch as an adult. However, there is evidence suggesting perfect pitch can be developed with a young brain, like language skills.

I would recommend learning your intervals OP. Be able to name them and also be able to hear the sonic difference between the notes, your ear will improve immensely. Sing them as well to vastly improve your vocals. This will only improve relative pitch though, you will not be able to just sit down and hear an E in your head and tune to it if you cannot already do it. Those with perfect pitch hear an E as clear as we can see the colour red. (assuming you are not colour blind)

Perfect pitch is more of a parlour trick and a nuisance. Many recordings are done off key, nobody notices this except those with perfect pitch. Van Halen's debut album is a great example. Relative pitch is essential for any musician.
  4. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'm a Fuzzrocious-aholic. It's been one week since I bought my last Fuzzrocious pedal.
    I agree with you but EVERYTHING is a debate on Talkbass. :D
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. sjeverett

sjeverett

Thanks guys. I can hear a song and figure out simple bass lines and guitar riffs. Alot of the time I will listen, play, then look up sheet music or several tabs and compare to what I was playing. I've been getting better at it, I just always tune flat which is fine if the song is tuned a half step down. I'm mainly wanting to sing songs that I wrote and record the guitar and bass so I can have my cousin lay down the drums. Right now my only audience is my dogs.
  7. sjeverett

sjeverett

As far as what Im doing right now, Im just singing scales and asking for advice on TB :D
  8. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Scales are good, but intervals are better. You can probably by a used sight singing book on Amazon for $1 plus shipping.
  9. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Just go join Alice in Chains. Your tuning skills will be fine :smug:
  10. sjeverett

sjeverett

I would join AIC in a heartbeat. Was supposed to see them in 94 with Metallica, Candlebox, and Suicidal Tendencies but they dropped out of the tour because Layne was going to rehab. Rob Halford's Fight took the open spot.