1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Early 60's Harmony h22 question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassguy2222, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Bassguy2222

Bassguy2222

This is a real vintage not a reissue, I inherited and I wanted to know what it would be worth?
  2. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

I don't think this is a question you can ask on the forum. Do some research on the basses listed for sale here on TB. Look for closed threads. Also, if you look on e-bay, check for closed auctions to see what they sell for. That will tell you the big difference between what is being asked for one and what one is being sold for.
  3. awilkie84

awilkie84

What he said. :)

If you wanted to ask us what it's worth and get a numbers answer, you need to be a Talkbass supporting member. :D
  4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

5. jnuts1

jnuts1

I bought a absolutely mint one for 20 bucks off of a farmer. so 20 bucks sounds about right
  6. Lownote38

Lownote38

I bought one (date of manufacture: 1962), for $450 a few years back. I'll just say that was a steal compared to what they're worth (which I won't say. Look around like other people had said. You can get a good idea of the value).
  7. Bassguy2222

Bassguy2222

Thanks guys, I saw the rules in classifieds but I dont think I want to sell so I figured It was cool to ask. I did see one on ebay for 900ish. Its cool but Im not a collector and it would never get played...but Id prolly have to think hard about a $20,000 cash offer... ;-)
  8. Lownote38

Lownote38

Have you had it set up properly and cranked it up through an amp? That might change your mind about playing it. it has a HUGE sound! The pick up it has is highly sought after.
  9. jnuts1

jnuts1

the pickup fat switch thingy or whatever that white switch is rules
  10. TheDialog

TheDialog Supporting Member

The last one I had I sold for $875. It was from 1962. I've had a few and they usually go for $700-$900 depending on condition, case, etc.
  11. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Utterly worthless...firewood.

Send it directly to me for environmentally-safe disposal.
  12. Bassguy2222

Bassguy2222

Ya it sounds awesome through our system!!! No case or papers tho, just it. My uncle in law bought it new I believe.
  13. HosMan

HosMan Los! Zum dritten Mal denn! Supporting Member

Just the thread I needed!

This afternoon I examined a Harmony double "F" hole bass,but without knowing the model. From my research on TB and online I`m pretty sure it is the H22. This bass had no picguard(white "batwing" or otherwise),single odd-looking pup,wooden string support/guide(?) before the bridge,wimpy white tuners,white master know(missing volume,tone knobs).Bass shows minor to low-medium wear.

They are asking $200 for this bass(high for thrift store pricing). Like a dope,I didn`t think to copy down the serial number.

Good candidate for refurbish/restore job? (After professional inspection,testing,etc.)

Not in my budget,but I was just curious. If any TBers want to know where I found this bass(Lodi,Stockton,Sacramento CA area) just PM me.

Thanks
    HosMan
  14. lunarpollen

lunarpollen

Sadly, this bass is no longer available. Well, "sadly" except for the lucky soul who bought it before I could!
  15. jbossolo

jbossolo Supporting Member

I have the Korean reissue. A "real" one just popped up at my local GC. Might have to give it a try...
  16. jbossolo

jbossolo Supporting Member

Played the vintage one today at GC, nice, fat sound. In very good condition for a 47 y/o instrument. They want $799 for it. I'm tempted. A couple of questions/observations:

1. The "chicken head" dial went all the way around, with several clicks along different positions, not much effect at all. Is this considered normal?

2. The tone knob had very little to no effect. Something to worry about?

3. Dead (flat) F# on the A string (9th fret). Frets looked OK, neck straight.

4. Finally, and most puzzling (to me, at least) the headstock is branded "Holiday", intead of "Harmony". I read somewhere that this is how some were branded. Any knowledge on this?

Thanks!
  17. Gbass75

Gbass75 Supporting Member

Umm... I am SHOCKED that this discussion went as far as it has with NO demands for pics!!!

No pics... NO BASS!

Come on, folks... Are ya gettin' soft around here?

;-)
  18. lunarpollen

lunarpollen

1. That is not normal, it should only have two positions, and depending on the amp you're playing through, you might not be able to hear much difference. One setting is normal bass, and the volume and tone knob should work normally. The other setting is a "baritone" mode, and some of the low end is cut and the tone control is bypassed in this mode. It's possible that the original switch control may have been replaced with a dial type, and may just toggle back and forth between the two modes as you spin it around the dial...

2. The tone knob only works if the switch is in regular bass mode, if it's in baritone mode, the tone knob does nothing. Of course, if something isn't wired right, then who knows!

3. Sounds like something a tech should be able to fix, there are a couple of deadish spots on the neck of mine as well, not annoying enough to me to warrant a fix, but in the future I might get it checked out.

4. I think there was a department store in Chicago called Alden, and their "house brand" was Holiday, so some Harmony instruments were just stamped with "Holiday" instead of "Harmony." The one I have is Holiday branded.