Early '90's Peavey forum P/J pickups and pots

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lowendblues, Dec 30, 2012.

1. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

I'm building a Fender clone P/J using Peavey forum pickups and pots.

I picked a trashed early '90's Peavey forum and scavenged the keys, pickups and electronics, and am going to use them in my P/J build, but really dont know what I have here.

The Pbass pickup looks pretty standard, but the Jazz pickup is actually a split design housed in a Jazz cover. They sounded great on the Forum bass but the neck had a busted truss rod, and was hopelessly warped

Are they both humbuckers? are the pots 500K?

One of the pots is scratchy and I want to replace it, or maybe go with Volume/tone concentrics.

Any info out there on these pickups/electronics? Or any suggestions on replacing the pots?

2. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

If the Jazz is an inline split-coil, then, yes, it's a humbucker and it's probably already wired that way internally - looking from the "outside" you should only have two wires coming from it, the hot and the ground. The Precision is always wired as a humbucker as a standard.

As for the pots, check them for markings that look like L###K. The first letter L is the taper, or behavior of the pot throughout its travel (A is logarithmic, B is linear), the number is the value and the last letter is always K for kilo-ohms. Alternately, just measure the resistance between the two outer lugs using a DMM, that gives you the value.