1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Early Electra Jazz. Info on these?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Band Dad, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Band Dad

Band Dad

I just picked up an early Electra copy (lawsuit?) of a Fender Jazz bass. Googling it dates it to the early 70's.

It cleaned up quite well, but definitely shows its age.

Plywood body, lipstick-style p-ups, guitar-style tuners (these are nicer than I would have imagined, having seen poor examples in the past).

Any interest in these? A response to a query in another thread suggests these are somewhat collectable. It looks to be an original and unmolested example.

Ian
    SF Bay Area

Attached Files:

2. rfslick

rfslick

I found this a year or so ago at a yard sale. Solid ash, cracked down the middle. Judging from the pickup, I think it has to be late '60s or early '70. Before they had aftermarket Precision or Jazz pickups.

[​IMG]

3. rfslick

rfslick

I fixed the body, made a PG, new tuners and bridge. That pickup is huge under the PG. A great player! Cost $15 at the yardsale.

4. Band Dad

Band Dad

Very nice! Looks like the same era as mine. Is there a name to that style of pickup? Not exactly a "lipstick", but something like it. Nice minimalist style. Cool decal as well.

I got mine at a yard sale as well. Couldn't pass it up.

Ian
    SF Bay Area

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rfslick

rfslick

Lipstick pickups were made by Nathan Daniels at Danelectro starting in the '50s. I've not seen these pickups anywhere else. They must have been make by Electra. If you take the pick guard off, the pickup is as big as your fist under the pick guard. I've been happy with the sound of mine. I use round wounds.

7. RSBBass

RSBBass

There were two different Electra brands owned by brothers, PCM and SLM. The logo yours has is almost always associated with PCM. In general SLM made much nicer equipment. You should be able to get more info here: http://www.rivercityamps.com/electraforum/

8. Band Dad

Band Dad

Yes, I did notice they were more than "skin-deep". I took the bass apart for cleaning.

I thought "lipstick" might apply to pickups that looked like the Danelectro p-ups. Perhaps not. I figure these may be "lipstick style", but even that may not apply. I wonder if these have a descriptor used when posting for sale.

My Electra came with what appear to be something like DR Black Beauties. I don't play, but my son thought they were a bit heavy for this bass. For what it's worth, I don't like the looks very much of black strings on tort and dark fingerboard.

Ian
    SF Bay Area

9. Band Dad

Band Dad

10. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

11. Band Dad

Band Dad

I've checked out the RiverCityAmps site. Very little, if any, there with "lawsuit" headstocks with logos like mine. Perhaps there's a break in manufacture, with the Peace Sign logo coming after the lawsuit era?

Or, seeing as how I'm on the Pacific Coast, mine is a PCM Electra. Who knows. Fun, anyway, to do the detective work on obscure vintage basses.

Ian
    SF Bay Area

12. GM60466

GM60466

I had one years ago. The neck was never right. The headstock angle was off a bit

13. rfslick

rfslick

Lipstick pickups were made from actual overpressings of lipstick cases, and Nathan Daniels wound magnets to fit in them. They were used in Danelectros as well as Silvertones, (made by Danelectro), from the '50s through the late '60s when Danelectro closed down. Evetts corporation started producing them again in the late '90s.