1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Early-Mid 19th Century American Bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses & Bows' started by RZang, Sep 9, 2013.

1. RZang

RZang

0   0   0

Owned for 35 years, but played for only the first 3. It's time for this treasure to move on. I do not have a clear history on the Bass prior to my purchase (purchased from a Berklee prof.) It sure looks like what you think it is, and experienced eyes have confirmed that it has all the construction and design hallmarks of...but no label, so, it is an early-mid 19th century American Bass that is believed to come from New Hampshire. Needs considerable work - but what a sound! Link to more pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/pyratcaptain/sets/72157635444699933/

THIS BASS HAS BEEN SOLD>

Thank you for your interest.

Attached Files:

2. Ben Mitchell

Ben Mitchell

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Where are you located?
  3. bazzo

bazzo

0   0   0

Can you give us a general idea of what work is needed to
    bring it into shape? Looks like a beauty!
  4. dtosky

dtosky

0   0   0

Could you post a picture that shows the side of the pegbox? I'm curious about the plates and tuning machines on this instrument. Thanks
  5. Mark Leue

Mark Leue

0   0   0

Disclosures:
    Luthier, Mark Leue Stringed Instruments
    How can I best contact you? Thanks, Mark
  6. drdom101

drdom101

0   0   0

Please could you contact me about this bass. Thanks.
  7. d.Fly

d.Fly

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

PM sent
  8. robinunit

robinunit

0   0   0

Hi,

I'm interested in knowing more about this instrument. Feel free to pm me or email me at Robin.Betton@gmail.com
  9. Ben Mitchell

Ben Mitchell

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I have a feeling this will be a problem when the seller does reply.. Because I think we all want it.
  10. Bruce Gertz

Bruce Gertz Bruce Gertz Supporting Member

0   0   0

I'm curious as to the ribs. Are they like this X inside? I'm also interested in the table length. It really does have a familiar look but I have never owned a Prescott. Bruce
  11. RZang

RZang

0   0   0

The Bass has been sold - but FWIW, the Bass did not have X bracing on the back, which I am told is both indicative of some Prescotts, but not others. Go figure. New Hampshire guys are nuts.

Also - I was led to this Bass by one of your predecessors - John Neves, a man that I truly enjoyed as a teacher and as an individual. Interestingly, One of the bidders for the Bass was also a student of Johns - odd connections everywhere with this one.

Thank you for your interest.

Ric
  12. mdcbass

mdcbass Supporting Member

0   0   0

Congratulations to you for the speedy sale and to the new owner of this old bass. Perhaps he/she will share the story and pictures of the "considerable work" as it is being done.
  13. waltwallace

waltwallace

0   0   0

Interesting. My bass is a tyrolian bass I bought from John Neves over 30 years ago. He was a teacher of mine while I was in High School, before I went to Berklee. He must have bought and sold several basses over the years. He was a good teacher and a good guy.
  14. Provbass1

Provbass1

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

I knew John too. He was quite a character. Liked to hang out with us young students. He offered to sell me a bass one night at his apartment, but it only had 3 strings, so I didn't.
    Also no money. I was playing on a Kay bass then. He had a great gig at the Playboy club that he liked to talk about.