1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Early records you played along to incessantly.

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by TheControlled, Dec 19, 2013.

1. TheControlled

TheControlled

JMJ - I'm aware that you've spoke in detail about your influences here already, however I'm interested to know if there were any particular records that you simply could not wait to play along to when you were a young developing player.

One of my favorite bands here in Australia is playing their last show tonight after 18 years, 4 EPs and 7 albums. Their first few records had perfectly timed releases for when I was a keen teenager and just wanted to play bass ALL THE TIME. I would wake up in the morning, listen to those records, go to school and set up in the music department and play along to those records, go to band practice after school and try and play those songs as a band, and then go home and play along some more until my parents would crack a wobbly! I miss the feeling of simply playing bass and learning music being THAT exciting, and still to this day, I notice my writing and playing is still heavily defined by those pieces of music. The mighty Drop D is a fantastic tuning as a young keen learner.

Were there any particular albums or recordings that grabbed you in such a way?
  2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

There were so many. Mostly music of the era, like Tears for Fears, U2, Talking Heads, stuff like that. I'd play endlessly to those.
  3. Chainsaw Willie

Chainsaw Willie

Day tripper. In junior high I played Day Tripper 5 times a day, every day, for three years. Then in high school I couldn't stop playing Strangle Hold. Today I would take my kids to a doctor if they has such a fixation.
  4. TheControlled

TheControlled

Ahh that's rad. Would have been pretty special to be around and getting into music when supreme awesomeness like The Joshua Tree was released. Adam's P tone on Bullet The Blue Sky is really what made me take notice of what a good P and playing simply to serve a song can do for music.
  5. quiltkitty

quiltkitty Supporting Member

Tears For Fears - Put the album on and play along. Still do when I just want that familiar feeling. Sigh ...