Early Spring Cleaning! FREE Bass for the Right Person!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MDBass, Jan 18, 2014.

1. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector-Dingwall-Aguilar-DR-Tech 21-Darkglass
    I picked up an old used P bass copy earlier this year with the intent to use the body as the start of a project bass; unfortunately, the neck pocket was entirely dissimilar to a killer aftermarket neck I picked up afterwards, so I decided to find a body to match that neck instead.

Looking to donate it to a player or student in need, anyone who is interested should PM me with more details about their particular situation.

The bass definitely needs some love (the truss rod may be frozen), but the body in particular has some really cool mojo and it's a working bass for FREE.

I'd be happy to ship it if the new owner covers the cost, so LA local is probably ideal :D

Cheers!

Attached Files:

2. Gbass75

Gbass75 Supporting Member

PM sent! I'm a middle school special education teacher who is starting an after school music program for students in crisis. They have nowhere safe or nurturing to go after school; so, I'm trying to provide such a place for them.

I've run programs like this in the past; with great success... but, I gave the few instruments I had to some of my most promising students; years ago.
    Now... I'm looking for donations for my classroom/after school club.

This bass would be a welcome addition to the program.

I can share some other stories about past students' successes if you'd like!!!

Thanks so much for your consideration!!!

Respectfully,

~Gil
  3. LowBC

LowBC

Disclosures:
    Builder: www.MavourneenStrings.com
    Do it!

You're a good man, MD.
  4. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    That sounds like it might be exactly what I'm looking for Gil; I recently donated my old upright to a high school sophomore from the projects on a jazz ensemble scholarship, and I wanted to do something similar with this one.

Feel free to PM me additional details when you can
  5. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

A very good deed!
  6. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

It's great to see a good story.
  7. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

Wait, aren't you the same guy who gave away that amp head?
    If so, you're awesome bro.
    If not, you're awesome bro.
    :D
  8. Gbass75

I'll PM soon!!! Thanks again for your consideration!!!

~Gil
  9. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I love the heartfelt intentions. I've given away probably 10 guitars and amps the last few years. I keep my eyes out for cheap, used and abused guitars and amps, then fix them up, set them up and make them into real players, then give them to students struggling with cheap acoustics. Gotta encourage these kids.
  10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I have 2 candidates, and I'd be willing to pick up the shipping on either.

I teach at a HS where the music teacher passed away a couple of months ago. I took over his program and one of the kids expressed an interest in learning bass. He and his family have very little money, and I pointed him towards a $50 acoustic that I caught in the Amazon deals thread. They bought it for him for xmas, but it took it to school and it's horrible. With the neck straight as an arrow the strings are about an inch off the fretboard. Anyhoo... I asked if there was any possibilty of his returning it, and his parents putting out a few more bucks. No possibility. He's got a great attitude, and is making the best out of a bass I consider unplayable.

Other candidate is a girl I know who's on disability because of psychiatric issues. She's an artist, and used to play bass... has an opportunity to play with some people she hooked up with, but can't afford a bass right now. She's a sweetheart, and if I could help her out that would be awesome. She's also coming up on 2 years clean and sober next week, and working really hard at building a new life for herself.

If either candidate appeals to you, LMK and I can put you in contact with them.

Awesome that yer doing this, too.
  11. redmoe

redmoe

really cool, not many folks that are willing to do good things these days. hope it goes to a good home.
  12. RickBlair

RickBlair

Spray some PB Blaster (available at AutoZone or AdvanceAuto) down into the truss rod channel, wait a day or so and see if the nut frees up. I have seen PB do some wonderful things on seriously rusted auto parts. I used it successfully on my hondo II recently.

Rick B.
  13. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

I have so many straps and cords from buying basses that just had them throw in as part of the deal. They range from Fender, no name , ernie balls etc. Also random cords various lenghts. I have 3 straps I use and a monster cord that is a life time warranty so all this extra stuff is pointless.

If you find some kids in need that end up with a bass send them my way for some accessories, ideally local as I hate USPS lines in LA but if a music program needs multiple things boy do I have a lot of straps I could send . I feel like a hoarder with these straps/cords hanging around.

I remember getting my first bass/amp from a pawn shop from my father. He was out of work and it counted as my B day and Xmas (there a month apart) present because $150 was a stretch back then, he was a single father in college. I was so excited for my dean edge and 8inch speaker crate bass amp. Still the best gift I ever got and he couldnt afford to go buy me additional stuff like a strap , stand etc just the bass/amp/cord. It was a year almost before I had cash to get a stand or strap and I remember how weird it was to finally be able to play standing up and finally having a cord over 3 feet long.

PM me.
  14. Gbass75

I'll write with more info about my students, tonight!

I'm a member if the Special Education team at Alvarado Middle School; up in Union City (just south of Oakland).
  15. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Thanks to everyone for the kind words and helpful suggestions...looks like the bass will be heading up to northern California just as soon as Gil gets back to me ;)