1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ease of play ?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Whil57, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Whil57

Whil57

Ok, action aside, i have been trying to determine why some basses play easier to me. My personal preferences tend to be the following, truss as lighty concave as not to be flat,but close to flat. Bridges, i have many from 2 Tek, Gotoh, Cheap Jazz Bass, Schaeller adjustable roller.. But with all the measurements i have been taking i cant seem to determine why some basses play like butter (no effort to play the strings) but not related to action. I could take the easiest to play, raise the bridge height so the strings are way off the board and it would still take less effort to play then taking some models and dropping the action into fret buzz territory. I tried switching strings and gauges, but some of my basses i cant seem to make like the others that i like to play more. Any ideas as to why?
  2. grendle

grendle Supporting Member

I've always found that to be the magic of a great setup. It's that last little bit that's hard to get. I think it's in the nut height usually ( warwicks are awesome for that).
    I know what your talking about , some just play like butter. It is in the set up though. Try and find a great setup guy. Pay him, he's worth it. Then try and copy his measurements if you can. There's usually some minor fretwork / nut work done to get that last little tweak they get.
  3. megafiddle

megafiddle

Good question.

Nut height is an important factor at the lower frets. Also, action height is typically
    measured at only one fret. It doesn't really tell you what the height is at other frets,
    where you may be doing most of the playing.

Setting a string as low as possible without buzzing, doesn't translate from one bass
    to another. Each bass has it's own limiting factors.

The shape of the neck bow if it has relief can also be different, bass to bass.

All these things add up. A good fret leveling and setup would place all the basses on
    a more even basis.

-
  4. Whil57

Whil57

thanks guys, i hadnt really looked at the nut, and its funny because sometimes you pick something from the factory that feels just right, so pardon the phrasing but i'll take a closer look at my nuts. And i'll also try setting the neck bow a little out of my character. I've done all my own work for years because people use to recommend me to techs,go to this guy, he's good, and all i ever ended up with besides losing money was cold solders on caps, switches that wouldnt work and bad intonation jobs.
  5. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

+1 to nut height. You get that and fret finishing nailed down and all else usually falls into place.