1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

East Coast Bass Shops

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sj_bass, Dec 24, 2012.

1. sj_bass

sj_bass Supporting Member

So, I'm driving up and down the east coast with my kid to look at some universities... from Raleigh/Durham NC to Providence RI. Now, I'm a complete left-coaster so I don't know of any bass shops out here... Any favorites? Place that I can't leave the east without visiting???
  2. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I have lived not far from Rhode Island in Southeastern Massachusetts for over 50 years. Sadly, there really aren't any bass shops anywhere in the area. In fact, there really isn't a good music store either. It's very frustrating when you walk into a store and they only have 5 to 10 low priced basses and a couple of small combos in stock.
  3. Hotblack

Hotblack Pay the cost to be the boss. Supporting Member

Bass Specialities - PA
    Rudy's - NYC
    NJ Guitar & Bass Center - NJ
    Jive Sound - VA (or MD, I don't remember)
    Rocket Music - MD (or VA)
  4. MyMusic

MyMusic

Bass Specialties Bensalem, Pa. just north of Philadelphia, Pa. http://www.bassspecialties.com/ directions at the bottom of the first page of their website.
  5. ThatBassBoy

ThatBassBoy

no real bass shops, but there are a few music and arts/guitar centers down in raleigh/durham. - i live in cary
  6. Anthony Barrett

Anthony Barrett

Westchester Music in Westchester PA is an absolute gem. Fab top line gear and great staff.
  7. Chipit

Chipit

+1 to the first three. I am not familiar with the other two. NJ Guitar and Bass is in Edison, NJ, about 5 minutes off exit 10 of the NJ Turnpike. Unbelievable, some of the coolest stuff you will ever see in an 800 square foot store. The owner is Jay, great guy!
  8. jj4001

jj4001 Supporting Member

In Providence, RI, be sure to check out Empire Guitars on North Main St.

http://www.facebook.com/empireguitars?fref=ts

They have tons of cool and interesting vintage guitars, basses, and amplifiers. You'll find things like Rickenbackers, old Fenders, Gibson Rippers, Ampeg fliptops, Vox amps, Old Kustoms. They also have a nice selection of effects pedals, too.

It's hard to leave that place without finding anything you'd like to take home with you.
  9. JBFLA

JBFLA Roscoe FANatic Gold Supporting Member

Rocket is in Blacksburg VA. You can always visit their forum here on TB: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f192/

I've done a bunch of business with Greg - great guy and they have two stores now (although the 2nd is brand new and may be "in Progress")

...and if you're in the Raleigh/Durham NC, it's just a short trek to Roscoe Guitars in Greensboro - give Gard a call and you can tour the shop.
    Roscoe TB forum: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f153/
  10. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

+1 I have spent untold fortunes in there. Scott recently sold it to one of his faithful employees so should be the same as it ever was. I drive an hour and a half to get there and it's worth it. Last time I was there I was saying I have too many basses I had 14 at the time. A guy noodling around on a PRS in a low shallow voice said I have over 100 PRS's. Made me feel so much better!
  11. sj_bass

sj_bass Supporting Member

Wow, looks like Bass Specialties and Empire Guitars are right near two of my stops... Thanks and keep 'em coming!
  12. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Really? It's basically an extension of their pawn shop. Every time I have been there they have had about 5 guitars and they were all over priced.
  13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You'd probably love Roger's shop in Long Island City, just across the river from Central Park. It'd be worth it to make an appointment to stop by Fodera in Brooklyn, too. I know they're not stores, but it'd be fun.
  14. tomydacat

tomydacat Supporting Member

If you go to Pennsylvania you can look up www.Dipintoguitars.com Chris Dipinto is Luthier of guitars and basses/..
  15. tomydacat

tomydacat Supporting Member

16. tjnkoo

tjnkoo

If you're in the Atlanta area there's the Atlanta Bass Gallery. Jim Rubio is a real nice guy who gives good prices, is real helpful, and someone in that shop could answer pretty much any question you might have.
  17. paradog

paradog

i love NJ Bass and Guitar located in Edison, NJ. Jay is a first class businessman and very knowledgable musician!
  18. soxhats

soxhats Supporting Member

In the last few months, I visited the following two places for the first time and would call both essential:
    -- New Jersey Guitar and Bass Center in Edison, NJ (already mentioned at least twice in this thread).
    -- Action Music in Falls Church, VA. I'd never seen the place mentioned on TB. A friend took me there a few weeks ago. GREAT selection of basses, many vintage.
  19. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

Go to Foxwoods and win yourself a new bass!
  20. jj4001

jj4001 Supporting Member

Yes, really. I stand by my take on the place. Totally worth a visit if you're into vintage gear.