East P retro

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassworx1975, Apr 11, 2014.

1. bassworx1975

bassworx1975

Anybody have experience with this onboard preamp?
  2. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

I have a Retro j in a Fretless and love it with Di Marzio Js and tapewounds but have not tried the P Retro . I have considered trying one unheard just based on my experience with the j.
  3. Randyt

Randyt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Adult Pampers
    I had the J in my Fender V...sounded great!!! highly recommended!!
  4. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    East pre's are superb. If the P is half as good as the J you will be pleased. Great voicing, quiet, versatile.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mcnach

mcnach

The P-Retro is different to the other JE preamps in that it still uses a passive tone control as a "source": you get to the ballpark tone you want through that. Then you have a very powerful mids control to get it just right. It's not a typical mids control either, as it doesn't simply cut/boost but it seems it works on bass and treble too, changing the whole spectrum. Hard to describe... Much easier to listen and use.
    It's a cool preamp.
  7. Shedua511

Shedua511

Disclosures:
    Agent for Scandinavian countries: Stick Enterprises Inc.
    I have one in my Warmoth Funk Machine (tried to get as close to the Jamerson formula as possible, except for the active option of course!).
    It sounds great, lots of sonic options and you still keep the passive P sound if you don't activate the electronics by pulling up the volume knob.
    Since it was my build, I also made a hole in the pickguard and installed the LED.
    I had to route the control cavity slightly to fit the preamp, but I guess that would vary from bass to bass.
    It's designed to fit in a vintage P-bass, so probably the Warmoth has a slightly smaller control cavity.

I don't know how the rechargeable battery will hold up, but after 4 years it still works fine... wish I could say that about my iPhone!!!
    Here's a picture of it charging: the LED is green, sign that it is fully charged.

[​IMG]
  8. ex-tension

ex-tension