1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.
  2. Search results may return 0 or few results. We are currently rebuilding the search index, may take a couple hours. Thank you for your patience!

East Tennessee Talkbass Part 2

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Michael Vee, Aug 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael Vee

Michael Vee Supporting Member

2. Michael Vee

Many thanks to Jeff and River Oaks Church for hosting the second ETTB GTG for 2012. There were six of us there, along with Richard's drummer who also plays a little bass on the side. For those who came out, it was a pleasure to meet and talk with you. The rest of you missed a very fun afternoon.

I did take pictures, but will not be able to post them here until Friday. I'm taking my own little mini-vacation this week! Everyone, have a good week, and I'll get those pictures up as soon as I get back.

3. funk generator

funk generator Supporting Member

First in! :)

That was an awesome GTG. Many thanks to all who came! Got a PM coming your way Richard

4. double bass man

double bass man

Thanks again for having me , and thanks Richard for asking me .had a lot of fun and a new appreciation for the bass.even though I'm a drummer I had a blast.Great bunch of guys and musicians

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Thumpin_P

Thumpin_P

I am sorry I missed it.I had a gig with Oona Love at the Quaker Steak and Lube.Maybe next time,I hope,anyway.

7. code911

code911

I wished I could have made it too. Had guests from out of town, I think I was at the bottom of tuckaleechee caverns when the gtg was going...hopefully I shall catch the next one.

Thanks again Jeff

8. Jeff Roller

Jeff Roller Jeff Roller Gold Supporting Member

Guys, I hate being a shill, but check out the new FB band page and click Like if you want to keep up with what we are doing. It's under construction, but I promise to get some videos and pics of all my gear up there soon!

https://www.facebook.com/3rddegreeknox?ref=hl

9. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

You guys were right, the gtg turned out to be the best part of my vacation! Biltmore was OK, but I didn't walk away from it pumped up like I did after the gtg. That's just fun stuff. Thanks to Jeff for hosting, and it was great meeting all of you guys.

Hope someone else can host one before spring so that we're not so long before the next one.

10. Jeff Roller

Jeff Roller Jeff Roller Gold Supporting Member

It's not that I'm opposed to doing another this year, it's just folks have a lot going on after summer. There's football games, school, indoor air hockey, and oh yeah, I think there is an election this year (THATS my favorite sports!).

What would be really fun is if one of us has a gig locally that is sort of low key and we could rotate bass players in and out of the sets. The only thing I've got booked the rest of the year would probably frown on such activity, but there are a couple of places I have in mind that it would be appropriate. That is if I can get us booked there.

Suggestions? Comments?

11. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

Very cool idea Jeff!
    And you're right, there are a lot of things going on including major holidays.
    I do sometimes have blinders on when I think about music.

12. code911

code911

Gig update: Kudzu will be at the Skyway Bar & Grill tonight (8/17), show starts at 930p. We will be at Smoky Mountain Brewery in Maryville Saturday night (8/18), show starts at 9p. Hope to see some of you there.

Charlie

13. Michael Vee

Guys, Projectapollo (Bill) PM'ed me to let me know the link to this new thread in my last post in the old thread is wrong.

I've PM'ed J-Raj (the moderator) to ask him to fix the link. It looks like you all found it okay anyway! Be sure and subscribe to the thread if you haven't, already.

I have the GTG pictures off the camera, and will be posting a link to them today.

14. Michael Vee

Okay, here are the keeper pictures I took at ETTB GTG 2. I'm going to do several posts so there aren't so many pictures in each one. If you all want me to rearrange or resize these, let me know and I'll fix.

Also, if I get anyone's name wrong, please forgive me and let me know, I will fix. I'm not the best with names! I will try to use everyone's TB username in the captions.

Nobody else took pictures, that I know of, so I'm not in any of these (no big loss!) because I'm behind the camera.

I'll leave these pictures on my website for at least the rest of this year, or until we have another GTG. Eventually, they will become dead links, but not anytime soon.

-- MichaelVee

iamoldschool's basses on stage (L) and my amps on stage (R) and basses on floor:
    [​IMG]

PDGood with his Ibanez (nice!) then some of Rollerberg2000's basses on floor. PD's LMIII and Thunderchild 115AF behind him, and RB2000's Phil Jones amp of doom at rear of stage. iamoldschool brought his Line 6 wireless, which was plugged into the Phil Jones so everyone could play through the PJ from down on the floor.
    [​IMG]

15. Michael Vee

PDGood with funk generator's Nordie J, Ethan with Rollerberg's primo Dingwall. I didn't know until the GTG that Jeff had traded his infamous purple Ritter bass specifically for this very-high-end Dingwall. Basses of the stratosphere!
    [​IMG]

funk generator with my Synapse 5, iamoldschool with Ethan playing the primo Dingwall, and Rollerberg in the back with the Nordie J. Gotta love Richard's shirt- classic bass guitars from the 60's!
    [​IMG]

16. Michael Vee

Ethan with my Douglas fretless violin bass, funk generator with Rollerberg's Pelosi.
    [​IMG]

PDGood with my Epiphone Zenith fretted, which sounded great through his Thunderchild! It's a shame that the Zeniths are no longer in production, as of late spring this year.
    [​IMG]

17. Michael Vee

iamoldschool playing the Nordie J (It was popular) through Ethan's Alembic F1-X/Crown Macrotech rack and GK 2x12 cabinet.
    [​IMG]

Here's Ethan playing probably his favorite bass of the day, Rollerberg's "cheap" Dingwall :). iamoldschool's drummer, Shane (doublebassman) to the left, PDGood, iamoldschool playing the Nordie that was hard to put down, and Rollerberg. funk is off the screen to the left, with my G&L L-2500 that was a four string at the GTG (oops!)
    [​IMG]

18. Michael Vee

Group shot: I forget the topic at that moment, but funk generator had some good ones going!
    [​IMG]

Ethan is tearing it up on his Low End Jazz- what a pretty bass. More good conversation going on.
    [​IMG]

19. Michael Vee

Okay, last post. I took about 5 more pictures but am not going to post because they are redundant, didn't turn out, or something.

The illustrious host of ETTB GTG 2, Jeff Roller(berg) with the Epiphone Zenith fretless- a real sweetheart of a bass. It arrived with a dead battery, which Jeff kindly replaced with a fresh Duracell from the church's tech booth.
    [​IMG]

20. Michael Vee

For a small gathering at the GTG, it was a pretty cool assortment of gear. Jeff, Ethan, and funk had some pricey high-end basses there, Richard had some Fenders, and I brought my oddballs, Steinies, and cheapies.

We had a high-end rack amp (Ethan's F-1X/Crown), two Genz Shuttles, Jeff's Phil Jones rig, EA Wizzy M-line, and my 3012LF Dr.Bass cabs.

Quite the range of gear!

I had met Jeff last year at the Soul Driver gig on Cinco de Mayo, and talked with him again when he came to see my show at the Clayton Center. But the rest of you I had not met yet, and you guys rock. I had a good time even though I brought too much stuff along!

I'm looking forward to coming out to some gigs and hearing you play, and to the next GTG, and continuing to do Talkbass with you all!

21. funk generator

funk generator Supporting Member

Thanks for the pics Michael! It was a blast for sure! I can't wait till the next one.
    Also Thank you Richard for an awesome time at your gig last night! Iamoldschool = a beast of a player.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.