1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

eastwood basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bigshawn, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Bigshawn

Bigshawn

Anyone try a Eastwood Bass? I seen a hollowbody I really Like and it is Lefty and we all Know how hard it is to find a lefty bass. it is priced very good at around 500 . Just wondering is anyone has any comments on them thanks .
  2. rockinpop

rockinpop Gold Supporting Member

Here is a great review of the classic 4. Very nice basses.
  3. Matt R.

Matt R. Supporting Member

Have heard great things in general about Eastwood. The only negative I can recall is that I heard pretty consistently that the Ampeg scroll copy sounds bad.
    I don't have personal experience, I'm just relating what I've read. I've heard the Classic 4 is killer though.
  4. GM60466

GM60466

I owned their Club Bass copy. It was well made and the frets were perfect.
  5. Bigshawn

Bigshawn

How is the short scale work for you guys? Im kinda a big guy . Is it not to much different because the body is so big or what
  6. mazareth

mazareth

I'm 6'3" and play short scale basses almost exclusively. They work great for me. My heaviest bass is the Skyrider at 7.2 lbs. A lot easier on the shoulder and back over the course of a four hour gig.

I would guess that the Eastwood you're looking at, will be lighter yet.
  7. mongo2

mongo2

I had one of those and IME the Hofner Ignition Club is much better and also less expensive. However I don't think the Hofner Club is available in a left-hand model.
  8. GIBrat51

GIBrat51

I have a lefty Eastwood Magnum bass; their take on the Ovation Magnum (which was not made as a lefty). It's a perfectly fine bass - for the money. The neck is very nice; well finished, with no problem with frets or anything. Everything works OK, though the pots could be better. Some of the screws in the pickguard weren't put in straight, and the large plastic bridge pickup surround is a little wonky. The burst finish, though, is beautiful-and flawless. Overall, mine is a very good value for the money. Plays fine, and sounds good.

My only problem with Eastwood is that: 1) they don't make a lot of their bass models in lefty (though they're a lot better than some companies I could mention), and 2) the majority of their basses are short scale. I don't have a problem with SS basses per se; I have 4. I just don't particulary want any more. Also, some of their basses would be perfectly fine (if not closer to the originals) in 34" scale. In fact, a few of the SS basses Eastwood sells now were 34-inchers when Eastwood first made them. I also have a Sidejack Baritone guitar; pretty much the same rating, IMO. Both are good value for the money. ;)

Attached Files:

9. mr.mow

mr.mow

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: BBE/G&L Basses
    I had a classic 4 and it was the biggest steaming pile of firewood I've ever had the misfortune of buying.

Really major crappy manufacturing flaws that if Eastwood spent 30 seconds inspecting a bass before it went out the door would have bee picked up.

Split bridge.
    Tailpiece installed so far off centre the strings were falling off the fretboard.
    Pickup ring installed so crooked the pickup was jammed up hard against the cavity.
    The colour.. Meant to be orange, was actually cherry red.. Odd considering they didn't MAKE a cherry red.

Things that made the bass pretty much unplayable without me filling the screw holes, relocating everything and redrilling mounts for the hardware.
  10. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    Bummer. My classic 4 came near flawless and is the nicest playing short scale bass I've owned. It was the only hollow body I kept when I sold off some gear last year.
  11. zontar

zontar

I've never owned an Eastwood, but the ones I've seen obviously passed a very good QC check--or the store had set them up properly.
    None of their basses appeal to me though-for various reasons.

The best thing is always to check it out & see if they fit what you need it for.
  12. Bigshawn

Bigshawn

Maybe I will look at a Gretsch Hollowbody and turn it lefty
  13. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I'm a fan of Eastwood (not an owner, though) but I'm a VERY big Gretsch fan, and I own three.

If you can spend the money, you will never go wrong with a Gretsch...and there are a lot of nice used Gretsch basses out there. I don't know which basses they ever made lefty, but some online research would provide info.

You are NOT going to want to mess with moving knobs and/or switches on a Gretsch hollowbody. It will be ugly and they are too costly to mess up.

Here ya go - a left-handed country gentleman:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gretsch-G61...e-/190858310340?pt=Guitar&hash=item2c700ab2c4

Might be nice to find a used one that's a bit less expensive...Gretsch hollows don't come cheap.
  14. depalm

depalm Supporting Member

I didn't have luck with a Classic 4.
    Bought it new in 2010 and it came with the center block detached from top. I mean, there's a huge gap between the center block and the top, producing weird sounds when I play certain notes. Besides that it is impossible to get a proper intonation with the floating bridge.

Sent them an email with detailed pictures but all they did was ask me if there was a local repairman that could fix it. I tried to send it back and get a new one but they never replied my emails.

The bass is unplayable, it's resting on its case since then.
    I just couldn't sell it.
    I'll never buy Eastwood instruments ever.

Now you have plenty of options to buy hollow body basses. Gretsch, Epiphone, Fender Coronado… All them sells nice, inexpensive instruments.
  15. zontar

zontar

Ibanez Artcore basses are nice as well.
    Unless you don't like short scale basses.
  16. Bigshawn

Bigshawn

Yea its looking this is the way I might go . As far as moving knobs I would just leave them get the double cutaway body and switch strings around. to play it lefty
  17. GretschBassist

GretschBassist Supporting Member

I had a Classic 4 and I have so say I didn't like it so much. I went for a Gretsch instead, two entirely different worlds.
  18. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz

My general impression of Eastwood basses, admittedly with horrible UK pricing, is that they are good but a bit overpriced. You are paying for unusual shapes. The Magnum bass has a mudbucker and a weird Burns Trisonic-like bridge pickup, and conventional wiring. This goes against the grain of what Ovation were trying to achieve with the original basses, sonically. Likewise the Scroll basses, for better or worse, don't feature the weird pickups that are characteristic of the original.
  19. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
  20. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I've got 3 Eastwood basses: Classic IV, EEB-1, and Hi Flyer, all of them gig regularly. Only problem I've experienced was a piece of the nut broke off in the case. A bit of super glue and it was good to go, that was 2 years ago.