Eastwood Classic 4 v/s Epiphone Jack Casady

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Diegol, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Diegol

Diegol

Hi, new to the forum.

i've been playing guitar for a while and recently started playing bass. I'm now looking to get one of these two basses and was wondering if someone could give me any insight on them.

I'm from Chile so i can't really try one out. Just trust all i've heard from them is true and get one on ebay or something

Thanks a lot

2. learning_towalk

learning_towalk Supporting Member

I have a classic 4 and really enjoy playing it. I have some D'addario Chromes on it and that helps it nail the old Phil Lesh tone from early Grateful Dead days. The neck has a high gloss on it which I'm not a big fan of...but all in all it's a great bass. I have read that QC on eastwood stuff is hit or miss, but I've had zero issues with mine. Plus, she's a good looking bass. Really wish they'd offer a classic 5 (i know short scale = floppy B...but if they did an angled string through in the body it may just be crazy enough to work) :spit:

[​IMG]

3. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    I really dig the JC I have, it's 34" scale. The Classic 4 is 30" scale, Ed Friedland has one and loves it. Either choice is a good one I suspect, just pick your scale preference.

4. edfriedland

edfriedland Supporting Member

I love my Classic 4, and I have had no issues whatsoever with the QC. The Cassidy is also a great bass, but very different. The longer 34" scale, and single pickup create a totally different sound and feel. Try both!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. recreate.me

recreate.me

This is the best thread. I really want a new hollowbody and would likely have to order from eBay or something.

What exactly is the difference in tone?
    And how would the short scale play with a dropped d tuning ? (it wouldn't be that floppy right?)

7. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized greenboy designs builder
    I think the Eastwood is just...cooler...if you can deal with the shorter scale. I had a JC...kinda cool...I only liked it with LaBella black tape wound strings, which made it even more of a one trick pony than it already is! I sold it because First Act (yeah, yeah, laugh it up) made me a custom shop double cutaway hollowbody that is to die for. I know they make the cheapo walmart guitars, but the custom shop are mostly ex-Gibson vets, and the quality is incredible...check their artist page...many heavy hitters. The model I have is called the Dehlia (I think).

8. Established1966

Established1966

Greetings-

I have both the Epiphone Jack Casady Signature in Gold and the Eastwood Classic 4 in Walnut.

Both have their strong and weak points. I hope this helps…

-The Classic's walnut finish is actually a cherry color and not brown, so don't be fooled.
    -The JC's finish is real pretty. An eye catcher for sure and very "classy" looking in person. I get loads of compliments every time I use it. people seem to love it.
    -I prefer The Classic's pickups to the JC. The JC seems to be a bit "muddier".
    -I am on the shorter side so the Classic's slimmer neck and shorter scale are easier for me. However it does not seem much "smaller" than the JC.
    -The JC feels a bit large do to it's scale, but I'm sure one can get used to it.
    -the Classic's bridge is horrible allowing next to no ability for intonation. And I can't get low action without extreme unwanted fret buzz. I also had to switch out the tuners for some Hipshot HB1's
    -I switched out the bridge on the JC for a Hipshot Supertone…and it's amazing! You can really fine tune the action and intonation. It's made a huge difference.
    -The string tension on the JC feels a bit "spongy" compared to the Classic…again, something I'm sure that one can get used to.
    -I use a pedal to "fuzz" out my tone and the JC feeds back real easily…the Classic does not.
    -The knobs on the Classic come loose and fall off often due to vibration.
    -I play with a pick, and due to the combination of the JC's pickup position and where I rest my hand, my pick is constantly hitting the pickup…so I have to consciously reposition my hand when playing the JC.
    -The JC seems and feels to be better built and crafted.
    -At the moment I'm really digging the JC overall due to aesthetics, vibe and playability (though I'm still getting used to the length)
    -I recorded a whole album with the Classic and absolutely love how it sounded on tape. But let me stress, that my band has a very retro sound and my tone is fuzzed out.

Here is a link to one of our songs (click the player in the "SONGS" section). This is the Classic thru a Boss Overdrive ODB-3 into an Ampeg SVT 4 Pro w/ one 4x10 and one 1x15 (both cabinets mic'd)…

Brass Knuckle Evangelists | New York, NY | Rock / Garage / Soul | Music, Lyrics, Songs, and Videos | ReverbNation

So there you have it. Both basses are really cool and both basses can be pains in their own right. At the end of the day, usually my mood (and what I'm wearing!) dictates which bass I wind up playing. If I could only find a super cool looking hollow body that plays and sounds like only my '62 RI Precision!

Cheers
    -S

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. rllefebv

rllefebv Supporting Member

Excellent comparison! Thanks for taking the time... Now the question that all the folks at home are asking... What's your opinion of that killer Coily in the middle??!?!?

-robert

BTW, I dig your sound!

10. Established1966

Established1966

Aaah...The Coily! I absolutely love love love it!

The good...
    Looks fantastic, even better in person. I love the smaller 15" body and 30" scale. The neck profile is real slim and not too wide, great for my smaller stature. It feels more like a guitar and less like a bass. Tone-wise it's got real plonky killer retro tone. Fuzzed out with both tone knobs rolled off it's got monster bottom. Whenever I take her out people just bug! Real light so it's real comfortable.

Now for the bad...
    Apparently these basses are notorious for their horrible action which only creeps up over the years. To lower the action, I shimmed the neck and replaced the bridge height wheels with plain thin metal washers but the action is still a bit high. Any lower and the whole thing just craps out totally. But, I make due because the thing is just so damn cool.

The strings feel like they are 40 years old but I refuse to change them cause they feel and sound great. They feel almost like flat wounds but I'm sure they are just worn out.

In my rock band she's just no good, but in my garage band she is just killer!

I haven't recorded with it yet but here is a link to the first time I used it live just a few months ago...

‪BRASS KNUCKLE EVANGELISTS - Good Time (Ain't No Crime) - Live At Bowery Electric NYC‬‏ - YouTube

cheers
    -S

11. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse

I know this is a little off-topic, but I have also become interested in the Eastwood Classic 4, but there are none I have come across to try. What is the weight of these? (I did a search and found nada.)

12. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    Roughly 8 lbs, about the same as a Gretsch Broadkaster.

13. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse

8lbs? Great! Thanks for the quick reply! :D

14. dylanthefish

dylanthefish

this is JUST the kind of thread ive been looking for!! im considering the 2 basses but im also considering the hagstrom viking bass, which looks quite similar to the eastwood. anyone got any ideas 'bout that bass and how it compares to the others?

15. ggunn

ggunn

It wouldn't make any difference. Anything done to a string outside the nut and bridge is irrelevant to string tension.

16. Avezzano

Avezzano

Not necessarily: if the bass is well built you'll have a proper B:

[​IMG]

that is a Manne 30" six string excellent bass; another one?

[​IMG]

not necessarily so: Gary Willis and many others swear about the fact that adding an extra length "after" the bridge (or "before" the nut!!!) adds in tension anyway. Long beaten issue, here: make a search... (check the "before nut" extended B length on this Fodera Lincoln Goines below...)

[​IMG]

BTW: now enjoy this below, if you like!!!

Talkbass thread about extra length

;)

17. kurosawa

kurosawa Supporting Member

Anyone have experience with the Ibanez Artcores, especially the AFB200 full hollow body?

18. tomydacat

tomydacat Supporting Member

try DIPINTO Belvedere Standard or Deluxe..

19. ZiggyDude

ZiggyDude

I just got the Jack Casady in the silver burst.

The finish quality is perfect. Not a single blem. It is not as resonate as I would like - w/o an amp louder than a solid body, but a fraction of the volume of my early 70s "Princeton" (Aria?) bass. Except the latter started to fold in half a long time ago.

The JC sounds almost like a regular solid bass when plugged in.

The 34" neck feels a lot shorter as it is set deep in the body. The contour is very fast.

Worst part of the quality is the three way switch -careful or it starts to strip. Considerng how solid the rest of the bass is - I don't understand why Epi does not fix it.

I can have more details later when time to test and write.

- Ziggy -

20. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

liked the rumblekat i tried a lot, never played the jc or eastwood though

21. lonote

lonote

I would also suggest trying the Eastwood EUB-1. It is a semi-hollowbody inspired by the Ampeg EUB-1. I love mine.