Easy DIY Multiple Guitar Stand Tutorial

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by diegobxr, Nov 9, 2012.

1. diegobxr

diegobxr

Hey everybody,

Today I made myself a guitar stand and thought about sharing, maybe it's useful to someone.

I made it with leftover wood, screws and paint that I had lying around in my house, so the cost was almost zero, but even if you had to buy everything, it would still be pretty cheap to make.

This one is pretty small and unobstrusive (footprint is 19"x13") and holds 4 guitars (3 electric and 1 acoustic). I didn't expect much of it but actually I'm amazed at how sturdy it is.

Now let's go to the pics:

All the wood used:
    [​IMG]

The basic design, I think it's pretty self-explanatory. Base is 19"x13". Height: 31". All held together by screws.
    [​IMG]

Painted it and added foam to every spot that where the instruments rest on.
    [​IMG]

Covered the foam with red velvet.
    [​IMG]

It was very sturdy as it was but added a little bit of reinforcement anyway.
    [​IMG]

And this is the final result:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Materials: wooden boards, screws, paint, some foam or whatever sort of padding, a little piece of fabric or carpet, thumbnails and/or glue.
    Tools: Screwdriver, drill, hand-saw, sandpaper, paintbrush.

Anyway, I reckon it's a bit crowded and it doesn't look all that great, but it works flawlessly, costed me only $3 worth of fabric and now I don't have guitars lying everywhere.

I hope you like it and I'll gladly answer any questions. Cheers!
  2. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

awesome! those stands are soooo over priced.
  3. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

I've been thinking about building one out of PVC pipe. Would need more bracing and would have a bit larger footprint, though.

I'll have to dig around and see if I have enough wood and screws to make something like yours!
  4. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

That's really nice.
    I love home built stuff.
  5. AnchorHoy

AnchorHoy

Yep. Gotta have the diagonal braces, in the interests of long-term durability if nothing else

Carefully thought out. Maximum use of the smallest possible amount of materials. Clean execution

Nice work!
  6. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

I dig it! I get the frame, but I'm no upholsterer...could you break out a bit more on how you attached the foam and velvet?
  7. diegobxr

diegobxr

Hey, thanks a lot for the compliments. I'm quite happy with it, not only because it was almost free but 'cause it actually works perfectly, it's safe and firm and looks pretty decent.

Sure thing, man. The foam I got is like a sheet. For the base, I wrapped it around the wood and secured it at the bottom using thumb tacks. (They're dirt cheap at any hardware store).

[​IMG]

I then wrapped velvet around it and secured it the same way. Of course all the nails go in the places that you can't see easily. ;)

This is the bottom of the stand. You can see little nails securing the velvet (I ran out of thumb tacks and didn't feel like going to buy more) :p
    [​IMG]

This is how the padding is attached to the diagonal braces.
    [​IMG]

And for the neck rests, I did differently. I removed the foam, wrapped it with the velvet and then attached everything together.
    [​IMG]

One thing's for sure: You can do a lot better than this.
    For instance, if you wrapped everything BEFORE assembling the stand, it would already look a thousand times better, 'cause you can work a lot more comfortably.

Anyway.. in it's normal working position, you can't see any nails, 'cause they're either at the bottom facing the ground or at the back facing the wall.

I don't know if I made myself clear, any questions feel free to ask.
  8. diegobxr

diegobxr

Here I made a little list of materials.
    [​IMG]

And took some better pics.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In this pic you can see the angle at which the guitars lay on the stand.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And no, my P Bass is not pink, it's that Fiesta Red doesn't get along with my camera. :scowl:

Cheers.
  9. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Nice materials list and pics, thanks. I see what you mean about the tack job, but as irregular as they are, you got some even tension on all the velvet by the looks of it.
  10. droo46

droo46

Cool build. Gotta love the CV P.
  11. diegobxr

diegobxr

Hey guys, thanks, I'm glad you liked it.
    Well I inform you I've been using this stand ever since I made it and it's great. It doesn't move, wobble, rattle (it's next to my amp), nothing.
    And it's really comfortable to use. Just place the guitar and there it stays, no worrying about it being knocked over or anything.

Cheers!
  12. northernmonkey

northernmonkey

There is no 'Like' button, but "I like this" :)