Easy for a beginner?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by neuralsnafu, Jan 26, 2013.

1. neuralsnafu

neuralsnafu

Okay, so here soon I'm going to be switching from .105 strings to .95 strings. I know I'm going to have to have a new nut cut. So my question is, is this something a beginner can accomplish or would it be best left for a pro? I figure tooling and the nut will be roughly 100$ shipped. Can a pro do this for under that price?

Thanks in advance!:hyper:

2. SBassman

SBassman Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Dealer: PiccoBass Guitar-scale Basses
    What kind of bass is this? Why do you feel compelled to replace the nut at this time?

3. neuralsnafu

neuralsnafu

It is an Ibanez Soundgear. It currently has 105 strings on it and I'm wanting to move down to .95. So I know the nut will vibrate due to the string change. And truth be told, the nut that is on it looks like dung. Wasn't finished very well.
    The model number is SRX3EXQM1

4. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

Some thoughts....

Just change the strings and see what happens. Chances are you'll actually be good to go with no technical reason to change the nut.

But if you're dead set on changing it for whatever reason, keep in mind that installing a nut and properly adjusting it on an instrument is frequently a one time deal. The nut on my Stingray... my main player... is over 25 years old.

If you simply want the experience of how to do it, go for it. But you might be better served to simply understand how the process is done, and then let a luthier with all the proper files and such do the job.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Yes.

As previously noted, there's no reason to change out this nut, other than cosmetic.

7. neuralsnafu

neuralsnafu

Okies... I'll leave it alone for now

8. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah VERY enthusiastic walks... Supporting Member

Media:
    It's a sweet bass (I have one) and going from .105 to .100 didn't give me any real problems, and I'm tuned down to drop C#