1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Easy jazz to learn from...

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by cire113, Sep 20, 2012.

1. cire113

cire113

Hey guys.. what are some players to listen to that i could learn the jazz language from that are easy to understand and play..

Im thinking of more guys like Louis Armstrong or lester young..

Guys that play slower that are easier to trasncribe to learn some jazz language as opposed to the more faster coltrane etc stuff..

do you understand my question?

Transcribing guys that are challenging but not impossible to get slowly better..

Thanks
  2. TroyK

TroyK Supporting Member

Check out Sweets Edison, Ben Webster, Arnett Cobb for starters. Roots of jazz, steeped in the blues, very easy to hear, but still hip.

Might also listen to some Grant Green. Not everyone is a fan, but again easy to hear, inside the changes, repeats himself...A LOT.

Good vocabulary.

I understand your question perfectly. It's a very good question.
  3. ChuckCorbisiero

ChuckCorbisiero

Jim Hall and Paul Desmond together. EASY TO LIVE. Nice album. I listen to it over and over.
  4. John Crosley

John Crosley

Kenny Burrell Midnight Blue. Nice Jazz Blues album. Major Holley on bass keeping it swinging and solid.
  5. notabene

notabene

AMEN!
  6. kreider204

kreider204 Supporting Member

Excellent question. Generally speaking, earlier jazz tends to be harmonically simpler than later jazz like bebop, so you're on the right track with Louis Armstrong and his contemporaries. Having said that, there are some simpler movements later on, including some modal jazz, and some of the West Coast / "cool" jazz. You can't go wrong listening to Miles' playing on KINDA BLUE, and then branching out from there.
  7. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Milt Hinton
    Slam Stewart
  8. John Crosley

John Crosley

I was going to suggest Kind of Blue, but thought parts of it were a bit more complex than the OP is looking for. But I will second this and raise Brubeck's Time Out as well
  9. Roger Davis

Roger Davis

Back in my school days My Fair Lady hit the London stage. At that time we listened to all kinds of music and the MFL tunes were good so we bought and listened to the LP. Then Andre Previn recorded the jazz version, with Shelley Mann and Leroy Vinegar. Listening to both those records, particularly the way Previn improvised on the original songs, gave me all the early grounding I ever needed. It showed how jazz was 'put together'. And Vinegar was one of the best walkers ever.
  10. cire113

cire113

Ive listened to all the suggestions so far and they have been outstanding guys...

please everyone and anyone recommend all you can

midnight blue was perfect!!!

man now i am starting to hear famous licks from the source; if i listen to the right people i know i can just get an amazing vocabulary of jazz
  11. bassinplace

bassinplace

I'm definitely not an expert in answering this question, but I was thinking maybe some Wes Montgomery?