1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.
  2. Search results may return 0 or few results. We are currently rebuilding the search index, may take a couple hours. Thank you for your patience!

Easy Jazz Tune

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by mitra, Jan 12, 2013.

1. mitra

mitra

He there!

I've just started to play the double bass (3weeks ago) and i am looking for a real standard tune with simple(!) chords I can walk to. A normal blues would fit best, I ve tried billies bounce but there is too much switching of the positions! Id like to stay in the 1st position or range i dont know how its called in english.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. GigJones

GigJones

I don’t play upright bass but I took lessons from a jazz double-bass player for several years.

The one piece he used to teach me to walk was “So What” by Miles Davis. There are just two chords -- Dm7 and Ebm7.

An easy walking formula = Chord tone on one, scale tones on two and three, passing tone on four.

You can walk all day without having to shift too much.

Hope this helps.

3. hgiles

hgiles

All Blues is more than two chords.

i think you meant SO WHAT

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Summertime and autumn leaves are good to do. Most pre be-bop standards can be played in an easy way.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. GigJones

GigJones

You're right. My bad. Fixed.

Sorry.

7. TripleDouble

TripleDouble

Autumn Leaves is a cool, very simple standard, or try Blue Monk, it's a blues in Bb that can be played with just the traditional I IV and V chords, or with all kinds of jazz substitutions and turnarounds as you learn them and add them in. Blues in F, Bb, G and Eb are most common in jazz, and you can just swap out the V iV I for a II- V I and you will be jazzing. Both tunes i mentioned are pretty simple, and almost always played and jam sessions by novice to intermediate players.

8. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Blue Monk is a nice slow easy blues / jazz tune.

9. mitra

mitra

Hey, thanks a lot for the answers! As soon as ill be able to, ill have a look at these tunes!
    Thanks,

Michael

10. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

11. MostlyBass

Read my mind!!! The chorus is just Bb - Ab.... my concern was that it isn't in most fake books.

12. mitra

mitra

Thanks, blue monk worked quite well!!
    Killer joe, nice tune, i plaes it last year with the big band on the drums! Thanks
    Michael

13. Jack Clark

Jack Clark

This is going to sound odd, but a slowed-down, non-drum, version of Shake, Rattle & Roll would fit your bill nicely. Slowed down and without the rock-drum back beat, it's an extremely simple 12-bar-blues with no chord substitutions, so . . . it comes out about as simple(minded) as a blues can be, I think.

EDIT: On second thought, I think the other suggestion of Blue Monk is the best. A blues can't get any simpler than that, assuming you don't use Miles' substitutions, and once you get the original chords down in all 12 sounding keys (ahem), you can go into the more involved substitutions.

14. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Flamenco Sketches. Playing the fifths in tune is a good exercise, and playing open strings against stopped notes is good for developing intonation.

15. hgiles

hgiles

The bridge to KILLER JOE is a bear...lots of bass players screw up the fifths in the bridge, i.e. its not an easy tune -- not if you play it right.

16. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Sing/know the melody and the bridge comes easy.

More easy tunes:
    Blue Bossa
    Take the A Train
    On Green Dolphin Street
    Night And Day

17. N.F.A.

N.F.A. Supporting Member

18. MostlyBass

Blue Bossa is a fun tune!

How about:

All Blues
    Mercy, Mercy, Mercy

19. mitra

mitra

Thanks a lot! Ill try them and i think ill do fine, cause i play a lot of these tunes on the drums as well

20. Bisounourse

Bisounourse

Now's The Time
    Tenor Madness
    Both basically a I-IV-V

21. precisionguitar

precisionguitar

start with the Miles Davis album 'kind of blue' .. as tunes from above have been mentioned above.. the groves are great and you can get the bass lines in a short time.. they also allow for plenty of space to try and solo a bit.. which is one of the reasons there are less chord changes in the songs so the soloists on the recording could spend more time working on ideas than worrying about key changes (read it on wiki)