Easy modding project and reduces?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by oniman7, Dec 15, 2012.

1. oniman7

oniman7

I've been interested in modding things for a while note but something else gas always required that money. I know nothing about electronics and I'm one of the least handy people in the world. I've never touched a soldering iron before. Next time I get paid for my lessons, if life to get a cheap pedal as well as a Radioshack or similar soldering kit and do a simple, cheap, and safe mod. I saw somewhere around here a mod to swap out a tone put on a boss overdrive pedal for better sound. Something like that would be great. I want to learn why pitfalls affect sound the way they do, as well add p perform simple repairs on amps, instruments, and pedals. At some point I'd like to be able to bills devices such as DI's, effects, etc. if i really click with smaller projects.

Of course, resources on reading wiring diagrams, rudimentary electronics, safety, and that sort of thing are greatly appreciated

2. oniman7

oniman7

Title should say resources. Stupid Swype

3. oniman7

oniman7

Nothing on this?

4. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

You might want to start learning some diy. Byoc pedals are great on that

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rratajski

rratajski

Disclosures:
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Don't start by modding a Boss pedal.

Beavis Audio is a great place to learn basics before soldering. Visit YouTube and search for soldering tutorials. You can use google or bing to search "how to solder" as well.

If you plan on soldering often, don't waste your time o radio shack irons. Worst mistake one can ever make. Buy a real station from Hakko (see Beavis' site for his tips).

Go to buildyourownclone.com, purchase an "easy" kit like the envelope filter or a small overdrive. They will send you a confidence booster with your first order for free to practice on before doing something more substantial.

7. oniman7

oniman7

Awesome. Thanks a bunch

8. Meddle

Meddle

Start by modding a Bad Monkey. There is one easy and one difficult capacitor that is commonly switched out. The easy one controls the level of bass, so you have instantly switched the pedal into a bass-friendly warm overdrive pedal. The difficult to access capacitor controls mids (sort of, a big value or a tiny value nulls the mids. You can get a good Fender amp tone if you use a tiny capacitor for example) but it is a good lesson in soldering PCBs, using a solder sucker, getting into tight spaces etc etc...