"Easy" orchestral pieces

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Andy Mopley, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Hi all

I have been playing quite a few Baroque style pieces (Corelli, Purcell et al). The score is readily available in IMSLP, and together with YouTube recordings, is a good way to practice (for me, anyway). Along the same lines, I am looking for suggestions on similar classical pieces (concertos, symphonies), not in Baroque style, necessarily, and not requiring technique much greater (or a little greater) than the Baroque composers I have mentioned.

Thanks for reading!

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Supporting Member

This is when I miss the great magazine "Double Bassist" - which was published monthly and used to include sheet music in the middle of each issue, for short pieces that varied from easy to ...impossible :eek:

Sadly missed! :(

3. bejoyous

bejoyous

You'll eventually play Eine Kleine Nachtmuzik and the bass part is pretty straight forward.

Also, any of the famous choruses or the overture to the Messiah by Handel.

Also, one of the last 12 symphonies of Haydn ("The London Symphonies") have nice bass parts and are great works of art.

4. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Thanks, bejoyous, they look great, off to practice I go!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rgarcia26

rgarcia26

Is there anything (Orchestral or Chamber) that a beginner can play?

7. Ryker_M

Ryker_M

Actually, there's a lot out there that's pretty straight forward! And there's no such thing as unplayable, just not enough hours in the day to practice.

Personally, I found Beethoven's Ninth, especially the chorale, very playable. The bass part for Mozart Symphony 29 is also fairly playable, my Chamber Orchestra at school is playing an arrangement of the first movement. It's not without it's difficult passages; but it's not terrible.

A lot of Bach's works also lend themselves quite well to beginners, but others make you just kinda stand there and stare blankly.

8. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Try some of Henry Purcell stuff (Abdelazer suite) or some of Corelli Concerti Grossi - all available on IMSLP

9. kallis222

kallis222

An team or team can be an excellent resource to a college. Such a team has often been estimated in an review as being a ofsted`strength of the school.

southoceansensor.com