EB-3 strings...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by unclebass, Dec 17, 2013.

1. unclebass

unclebass

I just purchased an Epi EB-3 from Craigslist. I would like to know what strings might work best on this bass. I use nickel rounds on my Fender Jazz V and stainless rounds on my Squier Jazz. I much prefer the feel of the nickels, but the stainless brought out the best in the Squier. I don't know what strings tend to sound best with the pickups on the EB-3. It has the original strings on it now, and I believe they are nickels. Would like to know what other Epi owners have found works for them...

2. gary19702

gary19702

for old school thump flats are suggested, for that I would go with d'addario chromes as they have some brightness to offset the humbucker mud. for rounds for me steels. again just to offset the muddy humbucker mess. whatever tone you're going for ultimately is what sounds good to you. to me nickels are o.k. but really bring out too much low end and sacrifice the mids.

3. gary m

gary m

GHS or Pyramid flats in short scale length.

4. unclebass

unclebass

EB-3 is long scale

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

The best thing to do is experiment. It'll cost you, but in the end you'll know what you like and what you don't. You could sell the rejects in the classifieds here, once you become a supporting member. Probably get about half your money back.
    http://www.bassstringsonline.com/

7. hotbass57

hotbass57

I had Fender flats on my eb3 sounded great.

8. unclebass

unclebass

I once had Roto77 flats on my Squier jazz, sounded great, but didn't mix well with other instruments. Removed them and put stainless steels, better, but still not perfect. Roundwound nickels seem to mix best, but I haven't yet had an Epi with the mudbucker pickups. Not sure what difference that will make.

9. hotbass57

hotbass57

There are so many good strings out there, pick one and go. The flats I had actually were clean with the mudbucker. Good luck!

10. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

I've used, in order, whatever dirt-cheap nickelplated roundwound I could afford (obviously with less than stellar results), then SIT Power Flats (pure nickel, IIRC? I've read they're true flatwounds now, mine were the old groundwound formula): not bad. I currently have the new Fender flats on it. Like them overall.
    I found out the biggest challenge with this bass (other than the neck and forward body dive) is EQing it properly: goose the mids to have a little clarity with the mudbucker (the result is narrow-range but quite usable in the appropriate context).
    The mini humbucker at the bridge, while far from sparkly, IMO sounds good even by itself (closing the tone a little bit and/or boosting bass at the amp): the problem is figuring out how to switch from one to the other avoiding volume imbalance and, well, having the right EQ settings for each at the ready. Getting myself an EQ pedal is in order.

11. unclebass

unclebass

Decided to take your advice and just picked one. Bought a set of Dean Markley Helix nickels for two reasons. One is that I wanted to try something a little less bright than standard nickels, and these were compression wound strings. Second is that they were available in the same gauges as the original strings, 45-65-80-105. I did not know that the E and A strings were exposed core, or that they had silks. I prefer no silks, but I think I'll survive. I am glad that I had already made myself a mod bar for the bridge, that helped keep less of the exposed core in front of the saddles. Adjusted the bridge up a tad to raise the action to compensate for the exposed core strings.
    I won't be able to tell how it really sounds till the weekend. My amp at home is barely worthy to be called an amp. Hoping I like these. I hate wasting money!!!

12. unclebass

unclebass

I had the chance to play on 2 larger amps. I really like the tone that I am getting. Very little finger noise, and really easy to play. Thought I might have issues with the exposed core strings, but so far they are great. May have found my go to strings, at least for this bass.

13. beate_r

beate_r

As an owner of 2 Epi EB3 (shortscale variant): if You like pure nickel rounds - these are great on the Epi. I have been using the Pyramids (45-105). The only reason i avoid them is the roughness of roudwounds. But soundwise they are really great.
    Currently i am using D'Addario Black Nylons on that bass. If You're on a more "wooden" sound and not too much, try Pyramid Black Nylons. Strings i would not recommend at all on this bass are TI flats - IMHO their sound does not harmonize at all with the sound of the Epi EB3s. (I like them very much on other basses). Although i did not try - TI jazz *rounds* might be worth a try as well.

BTW: You might want to try to replace the pole screws of the sidewinder by a 6x6mm (resp 1/4" x 1/4") steel bar. You'll be surprised how much fuller the pickup will sound (and with A BIT more treble!).

14. unclebass

unclebass

Not sure what you mean by this, is there images or videos to show what you are talking about? I'm always up for modifications if they are cheap and completely reversible. Would this work for the pickup at the bridge as well?